Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance co confirmed my K5 is a write off.
There are simply no K5`s in Australia and word has it there won`t be any more here until Sept/Oct. Don`t think I can wait thhat long.
I waited for 6 weeks for the one I bought in the first place.
4 weeks old that bike and its gone all because some imbacile turns right across your path,
35 KPH, BANG and the bike is totaled, Its all cosmetic damage but there is a shit load of it Talk about feeling ripped off.
Going to test ride a 10 tomorrow and if its anything like the Gixxer I`ll spose I`ll have little choice but to jump ship. After 5 straight Suzukis riding something else will sure feel strange.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Aren't you tempted to wait and see what the revamped 2006's will look like?

Well, actually the other big 3 probably won't show up until like March of next year anyway huh?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I almost bought a 05 ZX10R, but the GXSR1000 felt a lot better. I could plan both my feet on the ground, and the position felt more like my 748s. Plus, I didn't have to worry about fixing the turn signals, it comes with a gear indicator, which I don't really use, but is cool.

I rode the ZX10R, and it was great. I has a little more power at lower RPMs than the K5, but I didn't like the digital speedo, the suspension was too stiff (k5 stock suspension is great), it was too tall. I think in Australia, they have the UK flush turn signals though.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the ZX10R or the GXSR1000. Both gave me the "OH, SHIT..." feeling when riding them hard.

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
What about buying one from the US and having it shiped to you?

My dealer has a black and Gray.

I would be willing to ask him about the process for you if you are intrested.

·
Registered
466 Posts
A true Suzuki fan will wait it out for the new K6! Of course and true motorcycle fan will do whatever they have to to get back on the road. Whatever you do, it will be the right decision.

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
I have a 10r. It's fine. I've had it on three tracks, including two I'd never seen before, and lived to tell about it. Mine's an 04 and the forks are fine but the shock had to go right away. I understand they did some very good work on the 05 suspension so you might get away with the stock rear shock. They don't have a steering damper stock. It wants one. I got the Scotts. Goes on in 5 minutes and works.

You need to be careful with steering input. Too much in a slow corner at max lean angle and the front feels like it is tucking on you. Scary, but you learn very quickly not to do that. There is a lot of shit talked about how they tuck the front if you quicken the steering by lowering the front or raising the rear. I think it's shit talk by twits that didn't get the above lesson.

Motor on that thing is very nice. No midrange to speak of, but the top end is just fine, thanks. Brakes are mushy stock but insanely smooth and powerful. I run them completely stock with just lines and a Brembo master cylinder. No more mush. A little more feel would be nice, but they never fail to do the job.

As a complete package, I'm happier with my 02 gixxer 1000 and it's US$12k in suspension mods, but the 10r is good enough everywhere for any mortal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As a complete package, I'm happier with my 02 gixxer 1000 and it's US$12k in suspension mods, but the 10r is good enough everywhere for any mortal.
i love my K2 also, and im a gixxer man, but concider yourself lucky you didn't get another K5..... BTW...post some pics of your wrecked bike....how did it handle the srash, and what kind of wreck did it turn out to be??? highside, lowside, head on?

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Insurance co confirmed my K5 is a write off.
There are simply no K5`s in Australia and word has it there won`t be any more here until Sept/Oct. Don`t think I can wait thhat long.
I waited for 6 weeks for the one I bought in the first place.
4 weeks old that bike and its gone all because some imbacile turns right across your path,
35 KPH, BANG and the bike is totaled, Its all cosmetic damage but there is a shit load of it Talk about feeling ripped off.
Going to test ride a 10 tomorrow and if its anything like the Gixxer I`ll spose I`ll have little choice but to jump ship. After 5 straight Suzukis riding something else will sure feel strange.
3 to 4 month wait for the K6 GSX-R is not that long Mick. It is a step backwards getting anything other than the K5 GSXR or K6 ???.

So your bike is a write off as far as the insurance company goes but don't you you get the bike back plus the insurance money? It might be fixable..... Insurance is known to write off a bike that can be fixed. I would fix and ride the K5 for now and sell it when the new bikes come in. Is the bike really that bad?

If you wait until next March you might have an even more impressive machine if that's possible from Yamaha, Kawi. and Honda when the new bikes arrive in 2006.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i rode a 04 zx-10r with muzzy pipe and usbpc down low sucks felt like a 500 but up top pretty good, i don't know how any gsxr1000 lose to 10's

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I have a 10r. It's fine. I've had it on three tracks, including two I'd never seen before, and lived to tell about it. Mine's an 04 and the forks are fine but the shock had to go right away. I understand they did some very good work on the 05 suspension so you might get away with the stock rear shock. They don't have a steering damper stock. It wants one. I got the Scotts. Goes on in 5 minutes and works.

You need to be careful with steering input. Too much in a slow corner at max lean angle and the front feels like it is tucking on you. Scary, but you learn very quickly not to do that. There is a lot of shit talked about how they tuck the front if you quicken the steering by lowering the front or raising the rear. I think it's shit talk by twits that didn't get the above lesson.

Motor on that thing is very nice. No midrange to speak of, but the top end is just fine, thanks. Brakes are mushy stock but insanely smooth and powerful. I run them completely stock with just lines and a Brembo master cylinder. No more mush. A little more feel would be nice, but they never fail to do the job.

Good write up there palomortian

12K in suspesion mods? Do you have the Ohlins superbike forks on the K2?

Closetotheedge,

I guess it is like the other posters have said, if you are very eager to just get back on the road you go and get the 10R. I am sure it is one hell of a bike and from what I hear very close to the K5 in the way it handles and perform.
On the other hand, if you wait until 2006 you might have some serious good contenders to choose from

If you are a true and fanatic GSXR fan like me, then by the wreck and start searching for plastics(e-bay etc...). I was lucky getting a complete set of brand new bodywork of a guy in Japan for 1100$.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I`m between a rock and a hard place.
I cannot decribe how much I loved that bike.
There really isn`t that much damage donr to it.
They have offered me the bike + $10000.00. Aust To put that in perspective I paid $19000.00Aust for the bike. I could get it looking good for $10000.00 but the fact remains that it took a bloody good whack on the front end. Hmmmmm.
There must be one K5 Gixxer somewhere i\n this country.
I know in my heart if I change from Gixxers I will alway have a feeling of dissapointment.
I`m buggered if I know what to do.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sorry to hear of your predicament,it was bad enough some cager fuck wrote your bike off now they're tellin ya its a couple of months till ya get a replacement Gixxer
im going out to the bike shops in the mornin,ill check around and see if theres any floating round down this way and PM ya if i find one with the shop details
We cant have you riding round on a bloody kowasuki now can we?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Be happy and buy a Honda,yes it doesn't have the power but atleast you don't have to worry about the frame breaking

·
Registered
379 Posts
Be happy and buy a Honda,yes it doesn't have the power but atleast you don't have to worry about the frame breaking

You sure about that? There's a post couple pages back of a 05 CBR 1000rr with a cracked frame. I was going to get the honda but I didn't like the heft and lack of power compared to whats currently offered. Either way the CBR is a nice bike. It's just a little too porky for my tastes.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Sorry to hear of your predicament,it was bad enough some cager fuck wrote your bike off now they're tellin ya its a couple of months till ya get a replacement Gixxer
im going out to the bike shops in the mornin,ill check around and see if theres any floating round down this way and PM ya if i find one with the shop details
We cant have you riding round on a bloody kowasuki now can we?
Nope, definately not

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
but the fact remains that it took a bloody good whack on the front end. Hmmmmm.
Well that is a very good point. I have the same feeling on my crashed bik(K5)e and I am not willing to spend mega $$$ I had planned on a crashed bike.

I bought ba new one

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Don't do it Mick. Wait for another K5 or fix yours and sell it when the K6 comes out. Fuck Kawasaki.

agreed!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts