Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike is jetted, geared, and has a pipe.(A 2K GIX 600) but... at around 5k-6k it sputters. is this fixable? i know i have to give up some "normal" performance to gain dragracing power. but i feel like im driving a car w/4 barrel carbs. HELP!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
that should almost be the start of your power band... your suposed to be getting more power... are you sure your carbs were jetted right? you could go take it to get it dynoed and go from there...

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
My 600 has a flat spot around that mark, but it's not _that_ bad. Sounds like the jetting ain't quite right, 600's are notoriously difficult to set up. Does it have a K&N filter or stock?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have 135's on the inside carbs and 137.5's on the outside. i went up to those because i was running pretty lean before. after i posted i double checked and the bog is at about 4k. its gotten better after a 47 tooth gear in the rear. its not really bad as long as i dont jump on it.
i am looking into carb sync tools and am waiting to get it dynoed.

[ 04-19-2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: wldbil1 ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
This is common. I bet it not a WFO. At about 5-10% gas.

What you can try is to get a half step shim for the neddel jet. This I have been told will help...

John

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i am looking for somewhere to get adjustable needles WITHOUT having to buy a whole jet kit. i dont need the jets, i already have those. i too think that will help.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Anyone that sells the jet kits should be able to get you what you need...

John

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Originally posted by wldbil1:
my bike is jetted, geared, and has a pipe.(A 2K GIX 600) but... at around 5k-6k it sputters. is this fixable? i know i have to give up some "normal" performance to gain dragracing power. but i feel like im driving a car w/4 barrel carbs. HELP!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">when you get this figuered out let me know mine does the same damn thing carbs have been done twice and its really pissin me off runs fine as long as you just roll the throttle but as soon as you rip into it, it stumbles

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
it sounds to me that you guys have a rich condition when the carbs are in transition fron the the slow jet to the main jet...lean it out...

bill, usually the inside cylinders(2+3) run leaner than 1+4 so you would have to run them richer...switch the mains that you have now, set the clip on the the third slot and give the air fuel mixture screws 2.5 turns out from the closed position...this is a good starting place and go from there...keep me informed...

thanks,
dwayne

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i put the mains bigger on the outside because i read on here about the outside cylinders running hotter. they said to put the bigger jets on the outside. now im confused. also, i have called every supplier and noone sells the needles alone. if anyone knows different, PLEASE let me know!!!
where is the air fuel mixture adjustment? im gonna look in the manual for it. i actually found a way to avoid this at the track. i went up to a 47 tooth gear that keeps me in the power band. i love it now, i never get low enough to hit the bog spot.

[ 04-20-2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: wldbil1 ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
There is a plug that covers the air screw, you have to drill it out and then adjust it...

John

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, im gonna try and figure out where this thing is. what other adjustments are there? will changing the pilot jet make any difference? im gonna have to wait til monday to look for the adjustment. my bike is 45 min away because i somehow lost the oil filler cap at the track.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, can you guys please help and clarify this cylinder issue? ive heard bigger on the outside and also bigger on the inside.

what is right?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Originally posted by wldbil1:
ok, can you guys please help and clarify this cylinder issue? ive heard bigger on the outside and also bigger on the inside.

what is right?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if its because they run hotter it would be the inside 2/3 not as much external wall to disipate heat

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i bought my bike used. how does suzuki do the jet sizes? do they put all the same, or do they too use dif sizes? if they do, how do they configure them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take the bike to a shop and have it dyno tuned.
On the dyno they should be able to tell at which rpm,s the bike runs rich or lean and if it is jetted incorrectly they can give you recomendations by being educated on how the bike has ran.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
on 96 750 it uses 125 and 127.5 inside hotter due to cylinders in middle closer of course I got a question though what do you think a bike surging at cruising speed say second under 4k is

·
Registered
128 Posts
I here from the local racer that the reason for different size jetting is to compensate for airbox design... Either the outers or inners are getting more or less air due to the flow of air through the box! Water flows through the block all the time so I don't think that temp is an issue!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya gotta love it. thats 3 different reasons and explanations. is there a definitive answer to this??? all i want to do is set my carbs up right, and im more confused than ever.
i saw a post on the board about fuel m mixture screws and how to adjust them. i think ill try that, so each carb is as close as i can get them until i can get it dyno'd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts