Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...suppose you girls are young and fit. I am 55 and have just bought my first Gixxer..650 K3. I previously had a Honda Shadow cruiser...boy is this different! It kills my neck and arms.Could do with bars raising slightly..don't know if it can be done...............Don't laugh!!!:lol

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
If it kills your neck and arms, it means you're putting too much of your body weight on the handle bars. Use your core/abdominal muscles to keep your body in position and keep your hands and arms loose.

Have fun!

--Wag--

·
Don't Mind Me - Just Snoopin' Around
10,426 Posts
If it kills your neck and arms, it means you're putting too much of your body weight on the handle bars. Use your core/abdominal muscles to keep your body in position and keep your hands and arms loose.

Have fun!

--Wag--
If you're riding in leathers, then your thighs should hold the tank pretty easily.

If you're riding in textiles or jeans, then I suggest putting some tank Stomp grips or something equiv on there. :thumbup

It'll help tremendously when riding around town.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I do keep my arms loose,my wrists are fine but I have to bend my neck backwards to see where I am going even when I am just touching the bars..thats where the trouble starts.Need just that little more upright position..but then I shouldn't have got a gixxer should I?

·
Registered
253 Posts
ride half an hour, then take a break, stretch, relax, etc

ride another half an hour, then take it home

do this until you acclimate

me, I just ignore it all and wear myself out, 4hr rides, etc, with breaks

you will adjust, just relax and give it time, don't change the bars, they are where you want them for the twisties

·
Here is your "R"
6,924 Posts
Give it time you will get used to the body position. You dont need nothing just time for your body to adapt to the new changes.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
It takes time to develop/build the different muscles you are now using. I rode a Honda Aero and after 3 miles, my right arm and shoulder were hurting. Takes time is all, be patient.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Don't you get just a little neck ache trying to look up all the time?
yeah, but honestly I got neck aches on my first bike, an FZ6R, and it's practically a standard - in fact got a slight tweak from my gixxer this AM (only an hour ride). But, once you get past the discomforts of riding your new bike, the SS position makes a lot of sense and will feel natural, it is particularly suited for aggressive riding.

But it's not just the position that can cause neck pains, the wind pushing your head back and buffeting can cause it as well on any bike, maybe your Honda Shadow had more wind protection, a racing style helmet that deals with buffeting can help.

So, I am not sure I would go through the pain and expense of Heli-bars until you have gotten more ride time.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
I use heli bars but yes, your body will acclimate over a short period of time as the muscles and ligaments in the neck start to adjust. Do short rides at first and gradually build up the duration.

--Wag--

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I use heli bars but yes, your body will acclimate over a short period of time as the muscles and ligaments in the neck start to adjust. Do short rides at first and gradually build up the duration.

--Wag--
Same as my buddy here^^. Give yourself some time. There are quite a few older riders in here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi...suppose you girls are young and fit. I am 55 and have just bought my first Gixxer..650 K3. I previously had a Honda Shadow cruiser...boy is this different! It kills my neck and arms.Could do with bars raising slightly..don't know if it can be done...............Don't laugh!!!:lol
I would suggest you start working out if you don't already do. It is NEVER too late to start. Work on your core muscles, resistance along with weights. All the muscles around your torso, everything waist down, but you really should be training your entire body.

·
FALCONSFAN18
3,282 Posts
Took me a while to get used to riding, my wrists and arms would hurt bad after an hour or so. Took me a couple of weeks to get used to it and now im fine, give it time and use your core to hold you up :cheers have fun and be safe!

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,918 Posts
So is it a 600 or a 750 ? This is the second time you've called it a 650 that I've seen you post . Suzuki doesn't make a Gixxer 650 . :dunno

1 - 19 of 19 Posts