Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just mounted up the new Michelin Power RS on my 2005 gsxr 1000 for a track day in 2 weeks. Sounds like they should be pretty great tires for riders that don't want the hassle/expense of warmers. I have run Continentals & Pirellis in the past... typically have wanted rear at 28psi hot & front at 31psi hot after a session. Any advice for these new RS's? Thanks! --Matt

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's should be a safe starting point, but speak to a tire vendor at the track day for more advice.

If none are present, you should be able to tell by the 2nd session what needs to be tweaked.

Keep us updated, I'm very curious to hear how they perform and your opinions on them!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tire reviews typically fail to take into account the pace that a rider is at... I am not at race pace by any stretch of the imagination. I can make 1:45 laps pretty consistently without traffic at this track. Some of the fastest racers get 1:32 here. Most of the "beginner" groups here are around 1:55-2:05 for reference...

Just completed a track day (~140miles) on the Michelin Power RS on my 2005 gsxr 1000 at Raceway Park of Midlands in Pacific Junction, IA. I have run Continental (Race Attack) for the past 4 seasons (without warmers) because they were cheap (much like me) & Pirellis (Diablos & Diablo Corsa 3's) in the past before that... they have typically have wanted rear at 28psi hot & front at 31psi hot after a session.... I started with that theory & it works fine for the Power RS as well. The Continental Race Attacks are some "old tech" tires but i have had good luck with them... the Michelin Power RS work better for me since the Race Attacks take so long to heat up without warmers. The power RS seems to have a little bit less rear grip than the Conti Race Attack (maybe I need to play with pressure a little more), but the front is more stable.

I usually get about 3 track days (~400 miles) on my rear (liter bikes are hard on rear tires) & 5 track days on the front. After one day, it appears that i will get at least that many days out of these as well. My Pirellis back in the day were pretty sketchy for the 3rd day due to quick wear.

I can't imagine that another tire can stick better than this without requiring warmers. As with the Conti Race Attacks, these were quite greasy for the first 7-8 laps until they scrubbed in good... then 1-2 laps was enough to bring them up to "STICKY" temp. After hour lunch break, it was about 2.5 laps to get them to feel fully stuck down again. I am anxious to see if they grip as well for the next couple track days next spring... since they are claimed to not be bothered by heat cycles.

I would like to hear from someone that has been using warmers & DOT race tires to see how much lap time they give up going to a tire like this.

They seem to wear well & felt VERY stable. This is going to be my go-to track (& street) tire until some other tire manufacturer passes the mark that Michelin has just set for "non-warmer" track tires. --Matt :cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been using Dunlop Q3s for over a year now and love them. Been wanting to try the RS but dont want to move away from a proven and trusted tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
El Fenix
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing