Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunlop D218's

Why do so many sportbikes come with this tire?

Just got some pilot powers and had a 50 mile ride around, so thier not fully scrubbed in yet. But on the center of the tire, the bike feels much more responsive and 'alive'. And like magic, the bike feels like it WANTS to be leaned over! Both are from the pointy profile.. Im guessing that as the middle wears, it will handle more like a 'neutral' profile tire, and it has lots of rubber in the center. Ill have to see how it wears, but I only got 2500 miles out of the d218s..

Dunlop just made a cheap tire that gives 'ok' grip and 'neutral (dead)' handling for half the time normal tires do. It probably traces back to some magazine test where the gixxer was 15.95 more expensive, and they had to cheapen something. Then all the other manufacturers followed suit.

I bet the other tire manufacturers dont mind.

IMO

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
if u've got 50miles on them they are basically scrubbed. they don't need much at all. i think even less is fine. you always have to let a tire heat up before dragging knee though.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Man im def gonna need to get some of these tire i keep hearing all this good stuff about them...? where to get these tires at a good price

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Pilot powers
Never heard of em

·
Registered
69 Posts
i've got Pirelli Diablo's, havent got experiance with the MPP's
are they also better than the Diablo's?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I love my MPP's, but the Diablo's are probably going to be my next tire just so I can try them both. I'd love a hands on comparison to see what's what.

How do you like your Diablo's?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They seem to heat up pretty quick.. Should I run the same pressures that I did in my D218's?

Gixxer_six heatwave cycle in the red r forum has some pretty good deals.. Dont go to a dealer, dont pay more than 240-250 for them.

Ive heard good things about the diablos too. I used to run pirelli's on my ninja 500 (not diablos.. obviously) and they had awsome grip! From what I hear, the grip is great, feedback is 'ok', the only bad thing ive heard is they regain traction more violently in a high-side situation. Both the Michelins and Pirellis are great tires, good enough to win world championships a decade or so ago. Basically any modern sport tire has phenominal amounts of grip. Cept the D218s.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It comes down to lowering production costs. Why put extras as far as tires are concerned on the bike when half the riders buying won't need ultra-grippy tires or great feedback. Most of the mfrs do it cause all the others are and most buyers don't even spec out what tires come on a bike when the are buying. Afterall, they'll likely only last the 1st 2500-3500 miles. Then the buyer can switch out to whatever brand/type they want.

One exception I've come across is Triumph though, their Daytona 650 comes with Diablos rubber and the Speed Triple I believe has the Pilot Powers stock. Problem is that you have to be pretty picky or hardcore to pass up a better overall bike because something as minor as the tires don't suit your tastes.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
get you pilot powers from heat wave cycles in the group membership and discounts thread.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love my MPP's, but the Diablo's are probably going to be my next tire just so I can try them both. I'd love a hands on comparison to see what's what.

How do you like your Diablo's?
I think they are great, havent got any problems with em, so i think i will stay with them.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I love my Diablo's, but really.... you can not go wrong with PP's, Diablo's, or the M1's. They are all great tires!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just took my Gixxer 6 with scrubbed in Pilot Powers on a 280 mile twisty-trip thorugh west virginia.. Good gawd what an awsome tire. Its alot easier to get rid of the chicken strips too. Dont know if thats because of the profile (doesent keep curving up at the edges) or just from the confidence it inspires.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Who has had the Diablo's and says fuck it, the pilot power is MUCH better, or do you think it is simular

(cause all I hear is MPP this and MPP that)

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
i've been running MPP's for almost a year or the better part of one. I had diablo's twice before that. Is there a HUGE difference? Not really, and some may never tell. Although, I think there is some and I could be happy with either tire. I do prefer the MPP though. Its really awkward how the MPP wears though. Once you really start running hard on them you'll get a snake skin looking exterior or little waves all over where your really pushing the most on what part of the tire.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i've been running MPP's for almost a year or the better part of one. I had diablo's twice before that. Is there a HUGE difference? Not really, and some may never tell. Although, I think there is some and I could be happy with either tire. I do prefer the MPP though. Its really awkward how the MPP wears though. Once you really start running hard on them you'll get a snake skin looking exterior or little waves all over where your really pushing the most on what part of the tire.
Yea I've noticed that too. Mine looks all peeled off at the edges. My dunlops had a shiny silver look to it on the edges and it looked like the tire was made of plastic.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just curious to what kind of mileage you guys are getting on your Pilot Powers. My rear 218 is done and I need to order something soon. Looking at the MPP's since it seems everyone + their mother loves em. What about Dunlop 208's? Are they that much worse than the MPP's?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well, a fellow rider I know got 7000 miles out of his last set of MPP's. I dont think Im going to get that many miles. It all depends on the road conditions and your riding style. From the looks of how my tires are wearing down, i'd be lucky if I got 4000 miles out of them. Just get the Pilot powers and join the cool kids.
There is nothing bad that you will ever hear about them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive heard mixed review about 208's. Most ANY tire you get for the street will grip plenty, the differences are in feedback, turn in, and wear. The Michelins are race-replicas so to speak. Not as aggressive as full on race tires, but with a similer design. They are premium sport tires. Diablos are premium too.. 208 are as well. Any premium tire will work great, its mostly about preference. Id have to agree tho, the MPP's are my favorate tires on any bike so far. The daiblos will grip fantastic too, just might feel different. Not a biggie, you can get used to it. Just get some new tires, try out the mpp's if you can find some, if not try diablos.. then your next set get another brand and see what your preference is! Your not gonna crash because you didnt get mpp's, or vice-versa. You might crash with those crap 218's tho. Ive slid on those one time to many,

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Yea I've noticed that too. Mine looks all peeled off at the edges. My dunlops had a shiny silver look to it on the edges and it looked like the tire was made of plastic.
+2

1 - 20 of 36 Posts