Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if this tyre suits my track days?

I kinda did hard braking at 50-70km before turns.
Will this tyre adapt to my racing style? I race in
Sepang where it's hot and humid. A lil' worried tho
whether the tyres can adapt to these kind of temperatures.

I ride an 06 1k.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
according Michelin the 2ct is supposed to be "bridge the gap" tire for people who usually run DOT race tires at track days. instead of having to swap out your DOT race tires for street tires, you will have the "soft" compound on the sides that you would have on the DOT race tires and the "medium" compound middle (regualar PP compound) for street durabily once you leave the track. it gets pretty hot and humid here in Georgia in the summers and i never ran into a problem with the regular Pilot Power.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Precisely, that is what I think. But my friend whose a regular tracker
said the tyres will not be able to adapt to the temperature and my
riding style. That kinda making me have doubts. I usually race with
Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa or Pilot Race. This is the 1st time I'm using
Pilot Power 2CT.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anyone care to post a pic of these tyres (F/R) showing the tread pattern?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Hey man, I've run the regular PPs (190/50) at Sepang over 5 trackdays. I'm now running medium PRs. The difference is that the PPs do not require a warm up lap, whereas the PRs did, before you can get down to crazy lean angles. I have not tried the PP2CTs, but if anything, they are supposed to be an improvement over the original PPs. And those PPs can take a huge amount of hard riding before they show any appreciable wear.

The downside is that the PP front has a profile that makes it a little heavy to steer, compared to the race-like PRs. Also, in average ambient temps that we see in this part of the world, after the 5th lap or so, the PPs will exhibit a tiny amount of squirm at the rear on corner exits. Nothing wild, but enough to tell you to take it a little easy. The PP2CTs would probably have that problem cured. I will be changing to them as soon as Joe's batch of 190/55 2CTs come in next month.

I believe that the PP 2CTs are a better choice for street riders who like to take in the odd trackday. PRs better suit those with race intentions.

Just my .02.

Cheers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Throttlestop said:
Hey man, I've run the regular PPs (190/50) at Sepang over 5 trackdays. I'm now running medium PRs. The difference is that the PPs do not require a warm up lap, whereas the PRs did, before you can get down to crazy lean angles. I have not tried the PP2CTs, but if anything, they are supposed to be an improvement over the original PPs. And those PPs can take a huge amount of hard riding before they show any appreciable wear.

The downside is that the PP front has a profile that makes it a little heavy to steer, compared to the race-like PRs. Also, in average ambient temps that we see in this part of the world, after the 5th lap or so, the PPs will exhibit a tiny amount of squirm at the rear on corner exits. Nothing wild, but enough to tell you to take it a little easy. The PP2CTs would probably have that problem cured. I will be changing to them as soon as Joe's batch of 190/55 2CTs come in next month.

I believe that the PP 2CTs are a better choice for street riders who like to take in the odd trackday. PRs better suit those with race intentions.

Just my .02.

Cheers.

Thks Arend....now it'll build my confidence more.... :cheers

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
This is what my previous PPs looked like, just after cleaning the bike the same afternoon I returned from a Sepang track weekend :

View attachment 25863

One more thing - when the track is wet, the PPs allow you to continue riding around (somewhat more carefully) with a big smile on your face, while everyone else with PRs or Racetechs has to sit it out in the pits.:D

·
Banned
885 Posts
I did a session on a buddy's 06 R6 with 2CTs....

Impressive street tire, but definately not made for the track. The rear tire was greasy as hell in 5 laps, and that was on a 105hp bike. However the front tire felt pretty good while pushing it, similar to a very old race tire = ALOT better than a regular PP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.