Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Metzeler Sportec M-1\'s

Buy them don't think about it just go down to your local tire shop and get them. I have never been more confident on a bike I and going leaning further over and going faster than I ever have.
After a short scrub in I took them up to my favorite in town practice area. Course is a short right 90 degree right fallowed by a short sweeping up hill cambered left then to a LONG sweeping up hill right that goes on forever. Then you have a short shoot straight to a left kink that prep's you for a little shorter sweeping on camber right that's fast and down hill. Then it’s a short down hill to third gear. Then just reverse it the opposite direction and you have to off camber lefts that can be a little hairy.
Well I’ve been pretty comfortable on this for awhile and a had a pace that I pretty much stuck to. NOT TODAY I went up there and kept leaning and leaning then a little I stop took a look at then went again. This time I went way fast and where I was slower I was much faster slamming it down on the off camber lefts with no worry I was amazed.
accelerating harder between turns braking way later blipping the throttle and slamming it on its side. OK before this I never Slam it on its side I set it down lightly and carefully to make sure that I don’t Crash But with the Metz I had huge confidence because they were so stable and the bike didn't feel like it was falling it felt like I was putting it there very neutral. Traction wasn't a worry front or rear I could push way hard on the front and it wasn't going any where then hit the throttle hard and early on the way out and my 98' GSXR 750 was begging me for more asking me to hit harder and early
delicious.
These tires gave me a knew perspective on riding. Ride easy in traffic just enough to stay ahead cruse in 5th and 6th gear save the middle for the twisties.

[ 07-22-2002, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Blackspeed ]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Metzeler Sportec M-1\'s

Gotta agree,

I was a bit cautious on the last back tire I had, as it was already "square" when I bought the bike (some bridgstone touring tyre) . The front was ok, a hardly used rennsport.

Put the sportec on the back and I was throwing it into corners that used to feel like the bike was falling into. Cornering feels alot more natural and my confidence has gone through the roof.

This may be because the old tyre had corners

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hey trickyrickyrican
I talk to a friend of mine who rides super agressives she is one of the fastest canyon riders here in CO and is the fastet girl Leslie she said that she had 3590 miles on that on her last back tire and she changed it early because she got a nail. Her fron has over 6000 miles on it.
Also there is no comparison to how the Michelin Pilot Sport grips compared to the Sportec. A better comparison would be the Pilot Race H2 or M2 which have more traction better feed back and are just all around better that the Sportec. I have friends that ride both but they only last about 1000 miles and I dont have that kind of money. Even though I have a friend who gets the M2 for 200 a pair.Maybe when I get another set of wheels for track days.

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts

Hey Blackspeed, are you on a 190, or a 180 rear. I'm looking to go from 190 pilot rear to a 180 M-1 rear..
Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have a 190 the bike steers quick enogh from me right now.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts

sportec's are the bomb. especially for how much they cost. ~$200 from discountmotorcycletire.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts