Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have another tire question. I've scoured the web for a few days and read every post on every forum that I could find before I posted this. I'm a mid level intermediate rider with a dedicated track bike and currently use the Q3+. I've been planning using the Q4 next as I'm getting faster, but then I came across this tire and so far it sounds good. Has anyone had personal experience with it?

Its touted as a trackday slick that doesn't NEED warmers, but CAN be run with them too. Seems really popular in Europe and starting to catch on here. I dont think I have the pace to keep true slicks at the optimum temp so I figured these Compk slicks, or the Q4 would be a nice intermediate until then. Seems like the Compk is supposed to have excellent grip for my riding level but is getting better durability results which is why it's so recommended as a trackday or training tire. What do you guys think? And the pricing is right too, so that's also a plus. Also I do have tire warmers that I plan to start using. Got the digital set from mjmoto at a smoking deal.

Attachments

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
Metzeler is a quality brand and that price looks pretty damned good.

From interacting with you, I think you are from Canada, so I will tell you to call the retailer to make sure that they will ship them to Canada. A lot of places won't ship tires internationally.

As for warmers, no tire NEEDS a warmer. You just put a couple laps on them before giving it the beans. The benefit of warmers is holding the heat in. You may notice that a tire that is heat cycled a lot will turn blueish and that's oils seeping out, making the tire hard. If you run warmers, you're looking at one heat cycle in a day vs 8 or 10 and the tire will perform better next time out. At the end of the day and you are packing up, put the warmers on, but don't plug them in to let the tire cool more slowly, too.

One way to see if your holding temps in a tire is to measure the pressures after they are on the warmers for 45 minutes and then measure the pressure IMMEDIATELY after a session, BEFORE you take off your helmet and gloves. If the pressures are the same, they are holding heat. If the pressure is lower coming off track, you are going too slow to hold that heat. That being said, if your warmers keep the tire at 180 degrees and you are at 160 degrees coming off the track, that is NOT a heat cycle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metzeler is a quality brand and that price looks pretty damned good.

From interacting with you, I think you are from Canada, so I will tell you to call the retailer to make sure that they will ship them to Canada. A lot of places won't ship tires internationally.

As for warmers, no tire NEEDS a warmer. You just put a couple laps on them before giving it the beans. The benefit of warmers is holding the heat in. You may notice that a tire that is heat cycled a lot will turn blueish and that's oils seeping out, making the tire hard. If you run warmers, you're looking at one heat cycle in a day vs 8 or 10 and the tire will perform better next time out. At the end of the day and you are packing up, put the warmers on, but don't plug them in to let the tire cool more slowly, too.

One way to see if your holding temps in a tire is to measure the pressures after they are on the warmers for 45 minutes and then measure the pressure IMMEDIATELY after a session, BEFORE you take off your helmet and gloves. If the pressures are the same, they are holding heat. If the pressure is lower coming off track, you are going too slow to hold that heat. That being said, if your warmers keep the tire at 180 degrees and you are at 160 degrees coming off the track, that is NOT a heat cycle.

Thanks. Your guess on where I am made me laugh a little, update my profile, and wonder why you guessed Canada 🤔😂. I'm originally from Florida, been in Texas the last 9 years, and Wisconsin now for 2 months.

Glad to hear it about the Metzeler brand, I'm gonna pull the trigger on a front and 2 rears. I'll keep in mind what you said about the tires and the warmers. And I'll start using my warmers with these. I had that blue color on my last set of Q3+, now I know why. And I plan on keeping a notepad with my tire pressures off the warmers, tire pressures hot off track, and ambient air temp.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just an update for anyone interested. I did two trackdays at Road America this weekend. Great track and can't wait to go back. These Metzeler Compk tires were awesome. I rode my nearly used up Q3+(front and rear) until lunch on day 1 in the novice group, then switched to the Compk tires, which was my first time having anything other than Dunlop on my bike. Day 2 I rode Intermediate group.

I decided not to use warmers to try out the no warmers needed claim by the manufacturer and rider reviews. I set them at a conservative 30f/28r cold and did one lap of the 4.2 mile course for warm up. They are awesome. I'm a mid pack Intermediate level rider. These things stuck like glue and wore very well. I will get many track days out of these just as all the reviews all said. They wore so well that I never used my warmers and I didn't adjust my pressures at all, just monitored them. I will play with pressures and warmers at my next trackday.

This was also my first time on a 180/60 rear and I love it. Transitioning the bike was quicker and easier, but not excessive. And it just felt soooo planted on the carousel (or anytime I was leaned over) and gave me the confidence to carry good speed through there, as I was able to just keep rolling on all the way through. Also, where I'm normally on the edge of a 180/55, I still have unused tire left on the 180/60. Its nice knowing I have that safety margin to go faster/lean further.

I feel like this tire is going to really give me the confidence to push as I progress. The Q3/Q3+ have been great but I'm not going back. I have found my trackday tire for the foreseeable future and think they will carry me up through advanced group pace.

Edit: I originally ordered 1 front and 2 rears. I liked them so much I'm ordering 2 more fronts and 4 more rears

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts