Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a number of brits out here so I have to ask a question: Does the average brit follow the royal family's news attentively?

I ask because am a Canadian who couldn't care less. With the exception of one pretty English girl I dated back in the 80s, literally NO ONE I've ever known could possibly care less over here. I have not clicked on a single royal family story or link to anything related - nada and yet, the algorythms that are supposed to present viewers with relevant content that interests them seem to think I'm positively obsessed with them, more than any other topic that actually does interest me. All day, it's impossible for me to surf the web or news without being CONTINUALLY bombarded with royal family this, royal family that, the baby, the queen, Harry and Megan.... all fucking day.

Does the royal family serve a purpose? I mean no disrespect if you guys are laser-focused on them but it's more than a little annoying that people in other countries are being bombarded with this when it is of less than zero interest or concern.

Even back in the 80s with Charles and Diana - this was pre-internet but radio, TV and print all had the same media over-saturation. There's' no escape. So back to my question, are they like super God's to you guys over there?

Are you Americans getting the same saturation or are you mercifully spared?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know there are a number of brits out here so I have to ask a question: Does the average brit follow the royal family's news attentively?

I ask because am a Canadian who couldn't care less. With the exception of one pretty English girl I dated back in the 80s, literally NO ONE I've ever known could possibly care less over here. I have not clicked on a single royal family story or link to anything related - nada and yet, the algorythms that are supposed to present viewers with relevant content that interests them seem to think I'm positively obsessed with them, more than any other topic that actually does interest me. All day, it's impossible for me to surf the web or news without being CONTINUALLY bombarded with royal family this, royal family that, the baby, the queen, Harry and Megan.... all fucking day.

Does the royal family serve a purpose? I mean no disrespect if you guys are laser-focused on them but it's more than a little annoying that people in other countries are being bombarded with this when it is of less than zero interest or concern.

Even back in the 80s with Charles and Diana - this was pre-internet but radio, TV and print all had the same media over-saturation. There's' no escape. So back to my question, are they like super God's to you guys over there?

Are you Americans getting the same saturation or are you mercifully spared?
Have the same opinion as you, dont give a shit. Tired of hearing the nonsense ( austalia`s on fire, massive life loss ).

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I don’t care but then again I don’t care about sports and celebrities either. Most people seem to care way too much and obsess with sports stars, celebrities, and princesses. Thats why the news constantly plays this nonsense. Here in the US the non-news news plays a story about this every day, right before the cutest cat segment, then something about Tom Brady, and then the weather.

·
Administrator
13,498 Posts
The point I was making was there is so much on the media about the royal family ( leave them to it ). No reporting on the disaster that is ongoing in australia, you have to search it out. Surely it should be the other way around.
Ah no problem ... for some reason I thought you were bundling the royals in with the bush fire disaster.

·
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Australian bush fires and drought do not technically 'concern me' directly but I am sincerely concerned because it is of immense consequence, with loss of life, property... it's absolutely terrible to read about. I follow updates, even though the story is not perpetually plastered on page 1 of every news site I read.

The royals? WHO THE FUCK CARES!?!?!?! Seriously. And yet, they're OF COURSE on the front page AGAIN this morning as I read the news.

·
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, the very next news page I check.... It's inescapable. I'll be reading about this irrelevant / inconsequential family that no one cares about for the rest of my life. They simply don't matter AT ALL to anything or anyone except 'some' British people. I wish there were filters you could apply to exclude content.

For mine, the two very first entries would be 'Donald Trump' and 'Royal Family'. Imagine how less frustrating the world would be if you had some say in what you're presented with for your daily news feed?

about for the rest of my life, it seems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Follow the money! The news about the royals is cheap to produce. no one gives a shit but we have all been trained over the years to keep an eye out for what is news. Whatever is cheap to supply is now our news, as the never ending quest for higher profits at lower costs. News items like this are stretched out for weeks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts