Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 Gixxer 750
okay first my bike would jump out of 3rd gear into a false neutral whenever you hit high RPM's. we replaced the gear and shifter fork and put it back together. Now it has a problem with 2nd and 3rd gear. Anyone know what it could be now. I'm going insane. It's a long long job to do it all over again. Please say we don't have to rip it apart again.

Thanks
Ryan

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
hate to say it, but you'll need to tear it down again.

if you replaced the gear and shift fork and it's still doing it (plus 3rd too), it might be the shift drum....

------------------

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Sometimes shifting from first to second it goes into neutral on my bike. Also it will occasionally be tough to get into first from neutral. Is this the same? Or is it simply a weak spring in the shifter? I'll also check the actual linkage to see if adjusting it helps. Does any of this sound similar? I also had the bike jump outta gear going up the mountain last week. Tightened the chain and it seems better...

------------------
keep it rubber side down....

[This message has been edited by cosworth (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yours sounds like a different issue....i think a factory shift kit might help you, it comes with a stiffer spring.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ummm.. What's a detent spring. Can I get at it without tearing the tranny apart. If I can and it fixes the problem then you have just become my new best friend.

Ryan

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, just remove the clutch....there's a star shaped plate that's bolted to the end of the shift drum. there's a small spring-loaded 'arm' that rides against the shift drum plate, and holds the bike in gear. inspect that spring, and replace it if necessary...

------------------

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think you can actually see it without removing the clutch assembly. just pull the cover and look up from the seven o'clock position...you should see the little bastard. just as jeff says...its a little arm type mecho with the spring attached to it. its purpose is to put a "load" on the shift drum via the spring to keep the shift drum from rotating sporadiacally

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay.. the clutch is out and the I have the detent spring and shaft in my hands. The spring looks okay but I have no idea how strong it should be. I also took her for a test drive before I took the spring out and it jumps out of second pretty easy. Any ideas would be great. I'm guessing the shift cam is going to have to be replaced. ouch.

Thanks for your help guys

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
good point, terry......the 3 shift forks are all different from each other....it's worth a double-check, at the very least.

------------------

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Crap. Bike did it to me today. Hard on second.... 8-9k then a clutchless shift into third.... boom neutral right off the rev limiter and I grabbed the clutch and stuffed it into third gear. Using Mobil 1 auto oil in the case wouldn't have anything to do with it huh? Purely mechanical?

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
no, i don't believe mobil 1 car oil would cause something like that to happen.

the way you're describing it, it sounds like it didn't pop out of third, but rather you hit a false neutral while trying to shift into third?

if this is the case i'd take a close look at the third gear shift fork or shift drum.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To test her out I would shift her into 3rd(no sloppy shifting) and then give er. Mine would jump out around 10,000-11,000. I don't know if you want to stuff it back into gear after it goes into neutral. Gotta keep the engine and transmission spinning at the same rate when you do. I've heard that if you don't it's hard on the gears.

Hope it's not the shifter fork or shifter drum. Very expensive if you don't do it yourself. Lot's of Labour. Parts are around 200 fer the shifter drum 75 for a shifter fork and probably 120 for a gear.

Ryan

oh yeah we put the forks in the way they came out but I'll have to double check that to make sure. We knew that they were all different.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
if it ends up popping into a false neutral, let the clutch out and whack the throttle to bring the revs back up, then quickly pull in the clutch and shift into the higher gear. this will synchronize the tranny shafts so that the gears won't crunch.

essentially, you're double clutching (if you drive a stick shift car you should know what that means)....but on a bike, you normally don't need to since there's only one real neutral (between 1st and 2nd), whereas on a car neutral is between every gear. modern production cars have synchronized gearboxes which automatically synchronizes the tranny shaft speeds, but even then, double clutching reduces wear and tear on the synchronizers.

bikes use unsynchronized constant mesh gearboxes, so if you ever 'stop off' at a neutral (whether false or real) in between gears, you MUST do the above if you don't want to crunch gears.

------------------

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Sigh. I went out for a hard burn last evening. It popped into neutral again. I'll try a factory shift kit first and adjust the shifter a bit (and get some K's on the bike- it's new to me) before I go tearing it down. If the shitf drum plate spring has gone soft, replacing with a new one shouldn't be a problem? It's is an 88. I'm guessing this part is not obsoleted yet.

------------------

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
You rock Jeff. I guess these kits are available almost anywhere. I've seen then online quite a bit. I'll try local and compare online prices.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woohoo all is good with the world once again. The bikes not jumping out of gear and I just got her painted all silver. I'll post some pics when I can.

Suggestions when working on yer transmission...
ALWAYS replace gears in pairs. Don't cheap out. hahaha.. My Tranny now has a new 2nd 3rd and 6th gear. And my bank account is dry.

Thanks guys fer the help it helped huge.

thank you

Ryan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts