Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike runs like a champ. Although it has a few leaks. In particular, the valve cover seals are all weeping, the oil drain-bolt has no washer, so it leaves a pool about the size of a quarter in the garage every night, and the clutch cover gasket is weeping. My dumb question is: What effect might these leaks have on the oil level in the sight glass. It's hard to imagine what volume of oil I'm actually losing when the amounts are so sparse. It shows no signs of burning oil--no soot in the tailpipe, and no smoke no matter how hard you rev it; yet it went through about a 400 mls/ccs of oil in 1000 miles. I'd like to believe it is the leaks. Any thoughts?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Its the leaks. Just start gathering the seals to do a seal job. Be sure to put anti-sieze on the valve cover bolts and torque them properly. Do not over torque and cover bolts as they all strip easily and the valve cover bolts are hard to fix. Adjust your valves while you are in there and look ate the threads in the cam caps. If they are bad APE sells replacements in Aluminum (I always change mine to these to help with the sripping problem) in a stocke size and 1mm over so you can repair by re-tapping.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, bones. Nothing is stripped as of yet. I'm hoping that getting new seals will prevent me from gorilla-fisting those bolts down, and stripping out everything in sight! My philosophy is: Tighten the bolt until the ground is littered with aluminum shavings, and then leave it there--one turn from dropping out. Just kidding (too much sugar). Seriously, thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.