Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are most of you running for main and pilots in your bikes? I get a funny look from everyone when I tell them what I'm running in my bike. 42.5 pilots and 155 mains (used to be 160's...actually thinking about going back to them cause my top end was stronger). Does that sound like too much? When I had my bike dynoed with the 42.5's and 160's, the mechanic said it was perfect, just needed to change my needle clip position (getting flames out the exhaust...but he wasn't sure if it was just the race Muzzy's system I have). Anyway, it came in at 137bhp with this step up. Engine is stock, just have Dyna 3.0 ohm coils, Nology Hotwires, and the Muzzy's.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I was running #160 mikuni mains in mine on the 36mm carbs... but the pilot does sound way large... #32.5 mikuni pilots on mine with the air-screws backed-out 2 1/2 turns. Mine is a stock 1127 and it pulled 131 rwhp with 30K miles on the clock. I got just as much top with the #157.5 mains, but the middle was actually lean on mine that way. If you have a exhaust with the spring-together joints, you can eliminate a lot of the popping and fire-spitting by using hi-temp silicone in the joints to seal them completely.

Are you using DJ jets? I think the numbering system may be different between DJ and Mikuni, but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...I was running a Factory 30 setup with K&N filter pods. It's kinda mixed up now. I put the stock air box back on and gained 7bhp if you can believe that. I will try the silicone suggestion, cause nothing else seems to be working. I think it may be that Muzzy's race exhaust though. It's [email protected] near straight pipe. Just some baffle around the outter part of the can to absorb some of the sound.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea Jeff. It was done downtown by a Japanese guy who could barely speak English. They couldn't even give me a print out because the printer was broken. But they do keep all the runs on the computer. Maybe I will go back and fix their printer for them.
All I got was the hp. Couldn't give me torque because of the Nology Hotwires. At least that was what I was told.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Smokinn:
All I got was the hp. Couldn't give me torque because of the Nology Hotwires. At least that was what I was told.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that makes sense. i've never used the hotwires myself, but if they were to somehow interfere with the dyno's rpm pickup wire, the dyno wouldn't be able to read engine rpm's, and thus wouldn't be able to calculate torque from horsepower.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 160 mains are in the ballpark, but the pilots seem to be way to big. Where are the pilot screws and the float levels set at? These bikes are very sensitive to float level. I would think those pilot jets would give you an off idle stumble in warmer weather. Just a thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried numberous settings from 1-2.5 turns out for the air/fuel mixture screws. Anything more or less doesn't work at all. I've tried 40's for pilots...seem to work okay. What would you recommend for pilots? Keep in mind, I'm running the 40mm carbs. Never had a problem stumbling and it's always hot and humid here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With everything you've described I'd have to say that you better stick with what works. I've never run into that jetting combo. before, but by the same token I don't think I have run into one with the Muzzy pipe either. 137HP is plenty stout with the mods.you have. I wouldn't change a thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts