Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been racking my brain on this bike trying to figure out how to manually turn over the bike. I'm pretty sure my battery is bad and doesn't have the CA to turn the motor. That aside, I still want to manually turn over the motor to make sure it isn't locked up. It's been sitting in a garage for almost a year now, and supposedly ran when parked.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,709 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with the details for your bike. On later years you can remove a crankcase cover or cover plug and turn the engine by a bolt on the end of the crankshaft. Is there something like that? Otherwise pull the plugs, put it in gear and push it. Shoot some WD40 in it if you want to be safe.

Things tend to depend on where/how it was stored. I recently started up a Corvette that had sat untouched in my garage for ten years. I turned it by hand with no plugs to confirm that it wasn't seized. Then cranked it with the starter to confirm that there was oil pressure. Put the plugs back in and primed it through the carb. It immediately started.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
If memory serves me correct, it should be under the ride engine side cover. There is a nut, which is the end of the crankshaft. you should see the timing marks and stuff there too. Roll it clockwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, a little more detail. It’s actually a 95 katana 600. The rear tire is blown so can’t push start. It was kept in a garage, possibly no fluids in it as there was nothing in the view window visible for oil.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,709 Posts
If you can't find a bolt or nut on the end of the crankshaft, pull the plugs, put the rear on a stand, put it in gear (higher is better), and try turning the wheel by hand. Or get the tire fixed.

You could also remove the sprocket cover and turn the nut there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts