Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted by monkeyboy:
Just a quick shout out to see if any of you guys in the UK know of a source for Manual CCT's? I have the web address for APE in the States but am trying to source one more locally....being a tight arse and all....

My cam chain jumped after a TDay at Snetterton...in the workshop at the moment, haven't got the bill yet...

SHOULD HAVE GOT ONE BEFORE....DICKHEAD
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Damn I missed a snetterton track day
that was the first track for me.

Hey monkeyboy I might be able to work something out wit ya it goes like this if someone will ship to APO addresses I am stationed at RAF Lakenheath but if they can ship it to there I can give you my address where they would have to send it then I can arrange to meet up wit you to deliver send me a PM or email if interested.

James

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just a quick shout out to see if any of you guys in the UK know of a source for Manual CCT's? I have the web address for APE in the States but am trying to source one more locally....being a tight arse and all....

My cam chain jumped after a TDay at Snetterton...in the workshop at the moment, haven't got the bill yet...

SHOULD HAVE GOT ONE BEFORE....DICKHEAD

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Yeah APE won't send em out of the states.
Yosh makes one you might be able to score them locally.

Good luck!
jontflesh

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cheers james, I'll look into it and let you know if it is do-able with APE....Thanks for the offer...

By the way, don't despair, plenty of days at Snet for you to play on....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try Hole Shot racing in Leeds (Yorkshire) I bought an APE manual Cam Chain Tensioner from them, I think it cost me about £47. I will dig out the phone number out and post it when i find it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Originally posted by 97sradpyscho:
Try Hole Shot racing in Leeds (Yorkshire) I bought an APE manual Cam Chain Tensioner from them, I think it cost me about £47. I will dig out the phone number out and post it when i find it!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks geezer, I'll give them a call.

Had the verdict on the damage from the workshop today....next to no compression in cylinder 2, looking at a bill in the region of £800 to do the work needed, I AM GUTTED...

ANYBODY who rides their bike relatively hard needs to think about a manual CCT STRAIGHT AWAY.

My damage was caused at very low revs (coming back into the paddock at about 2000 revs after a session) and I had no warning, the cct just failed and the cam chain skipped a few teeth.......PLEASE DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Did they tell you how many teeth it jumped? Mine jumped 1 tooth on the EX cam two different times... (Both under warrenty). After zuk put in the new chain and guides, I put a APE CCT in it...
Never a problem again...

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
One tooth made my bike run like crap...

It didnt cause any problems internal to the motor (thankfully)

I adjust mine about every 6K miles or when it makes noise.. My new chain had to be adjusted after the first 3 rides I think it was... lol That was a pain in the ass.

John

·
Registered
146 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Did they tell you how many teeth it jumped? Mine jumped 1 tooth on the EX cam two different times... (Both under warrenty). After zuk put in the new chain and guides, I put a APE CCT in it...
Never a problem again...

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, they didn't say how many teeth it had skipped, but in their words "the timing was a fookin' mile out!" Kinda says it all really.....

Glad to hear you have no probs now with a manual cct, Hole Shot Racing in Leeds came through for me and one is winging it's way through the post.

Do you find it needs adjusting often? Do you wait for that tell-tale rattle to let you know it needs adjusting or is there another way of telling? Really appreciate all the advice and help from you more experienced spanner-monkeys.

Ian

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
one tooth off on a cam makes a HUGE difference....it'll be more than 20 crank degrees. perhaps not always enough to cause physical damage, but you'd definitely know something's wrong.....

£47 is a LOT.....ape sells them stateside for around $40, which is more like £28.

[ 04-12-2002, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Originally posted by jeff:

£47 is a LOT.....ape sells them stateside for around $40, which is more like £28.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why is everything so damn cheap in the States compared to over here?!!?LOL. I'm looking to buy a K&N and power commander and the cheapest i can find is £290 for the two!!!

I've got a feeling you guys pay about the same in dollars?

For anyone who is interested, Hole Shot charged me £35 +vat +p£p, the guy is a bit of a miserable sod but at least he had one in stock...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree the bloke is a miserable sod! But he had what i needed. He was Dynoing a 450 BHP turboed Busa it sounded SWEET! This is rip off Britain were talking about nothing is cheap over here. They like to take down your trousers and give you a doing over for all the hard earned cash you make! Any way - i adjusted my CCT after the first couple of good rides and all has been well. Will check on it after 4000 miles or so.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
£800 for the repairs? Fuck that, get another motor, it'd be waaay cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts