Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damnit! I was going to put my new manual cam chain tensioner in yesterday, and guess what, WRONG PART.... Before sending this damn thing back, has anyone ordered the manual CCT from APE Racing? If so, could you tell me the PART# for the 98 GSXR600? Is there different models that I don't know about??

--
Corey

·
Registered
838 Posts
When I called them they told me they don't make it for a 98 gsxr 600. If you look at there we-site a 98 600 isn't listed on there either. I don't know why,but it isn't. I just went with a new automatic one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just installed my APE manual tensioner 2 weeks ago and the part number is the same for the 750 of the same years (96-99 750/600, and the 2k 600) as it is for 600.
APE Part# ST750GX

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Originally posted by jman:
I just installed my APE manual tensioner 2 weeks ago and the part number is the same for the 750 of the same years (96-99 750/600, and the 2k 600) as it is for 600.
APE Part# ST750GX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You didn't mention if your bike is running correctly ever since
.. just kiddin..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, the thing on the package it came in, says ST1100GSX and below it, it says, "(For GSXR600w/GSXR750w/GSXR1000w)", so i'm assuming I need to call Monday and clear it up... mines a 98 gsxr SRAD

--
Corey

·
Registered
252 Posts
You didn't mention if your bike is running correctly ever since .. just kiddin..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Well, it hasnt died yet! so either I'm very lucky or it's the right part

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies and part numbers, i'll give them a call tomorrow. Jman, was there any specific things you did that might have not been mentioned in that tutorial on CCT replacement in this forum? Like any adjustments need to be done to the carbs or anything? Or does it all stay intact as long as you just un-do the bolts at the head? I just wanna make sure I got everything in place and working, cause I don't have the manual yet, I ordered it, but it's not gonna be here until the week after this... (Got a car-mechanic friend to help me figure shit out..that's how I got this far.. hah)

--
Corey

[ 09-29-2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: CoreyAtWork ]

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you dont have the manual yet, then definately print a copy of the install how to and go by that. It's really not a hard install to do, just a little daunting knowing that you could seriously fuck your engine if you do something wrong! Just dont forget to zip tie the cam chain to the cam sprockets BEFORE you loosen/remove the old tensioner. If not, it's a quick way to give yourself some major headaches!

Just an FYI in case you were wondering about replacing the valve cover gasket. I reused the stock one with a little gasket sealer just for good measure. 2 weeks now and no leaks from the cover yet, so I guess it'll be ok.
Good luck, take your time, and triple check everything before you bolt it all back up and fire it up!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do JMan, yea my friend was asking me about the "third" cam sprocket that's at the bottom of the motor, but having the tutorial in my hands, I told him to just zip tie the chain to the two cams and it will be alright

---
Corey

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Ok WAIT! dont not zip tie the chain to the cams unless you know for sure that your cam timing is correct.. You might need to re-time the motor if you have been having problems...

As far as the sprocket on the crank, it is reall y hard for it to jupm caus ehte guides are so close to it that there really isnt enough room for the chain to back off...

You should not have to do anything with the carbs...

The CCT you ordered is the correct one. They are all the same from every motor I have worked on.

Anything else?

John

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I just got the new tensioner, APE Part# ST750GX, so i'll go try to put this badboy in tonight... if it doesn't fit, i'm gonna be pissed.

Also, the timing was okie dokie I think? If that's what you're asking Gsxr-freak... It was just a ratchey noise it was making around 3-4k rpms at a stand still and didn't change when disengaging/engaging the clutch..

--
Corey

[ 10-02-2002, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: CoreyAtWork ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, the tensioner is in and everything is back together, hopefully once I get my ferrings/gas-tank back from getting painted, everything will work okie dokie. I had to run to discount and get some gasket maker & RTV since APE sent the WRONG damn gasket... I think i'm gonna just order stuff from marmo.com from now on. But at anyrate, anyone know if you can run the motor and back the tensioner out until it starts to rattle, then slowly screw it back in to make sure it's not "Too tight"?

--
Corey

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Sure cory you could adjust it that way.. but it could cause you other problems... If you read the sticky at the top of this fourm it will tell you how to adjust it.

As far as the problems with APE, you must be the lucky one.. lol I have never had problems with them down there.. Always gotten what I needed the first time, and the work is top notch... Sorry to hear you had so many problems.

John

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, i'm sure they meant well, and people do make mistakes, i'm just over-reacting cause I didn't get my part when I ordered it the first time. However, that does tend to piss anyone off just cause it's a waste of time & money. But at anyrate, I did have that post printed out while I was doing it, and I just tightened the cam chain till I could push down in the middle of the two cams and there was a small flex in the chain, just like there was before... OH well, i'm sure when I get the gas tank on .. i'll find out if I did it right or not. heh.

--
Corey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts