Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mladin, and Tommy Gun are testing the Superbike at Malaysia the 2nd week in Nov. This is a scheduled GP test much like a few years ago when Mladin got jerked off the GSV-R after just a few laps. Doubt we'll hear any comparible test times (Superbike vs. GP1), but will be interesting to see if anything leaks out like last time.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Well, the teams are now junking their 990cc based machines and can focus fully on the new 800cc mills (they've got until March in Qatar to get ready). I remember during initial testing Loris was turning laptimes within 1.5 seconds of his best times on the GP6 Desmo. What I always get a kick out of though is to see the gap in laptimes dwindling between the prototype GP machines and the production based Superbikes. Back in January during testing at Philip Island Mladin set a best lap of 1:32 and some change, within 2 seconds of the MotoGP lap record held by Melandri.....pretty impressive.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone on here had a pic of Mladin following Hayden on the 1K (maybe JeffW)

From the '04 test...

“They told me before I arrived in Malaysia that they wanted me to have a go on the bike, but I didn’t know if it was going to be for a couple of laps or whether it would be for a day to try and give them some decent feedback. But as it turned out I only did a few laps.
“I didn’t really do enough laps to have a think. I told the team I couldn’t really do much feedback and to do that you need to have a motorbike set-up properly.
“I only did about 12 or 13 laps (at speed) and it was my first time out on the bike so it was impossible to think about getting down to any sort of time. I did a mid 2.07 or something.
“I did confirm a lot of what John and Kenny have been saying, but I never really got the chance (to do more). To give them a proper confirmation I’d have had to go through at least a day’s worth of testing to make the motorcycle at least fit me a little bit better. It’s a GP bike that’s easily capable of 2.04s or 2.05s and I did a seven, so you can’t give positive feedback. I went slower on the GP bike than I did on my AMA Superbike. I couldn’t be too critical because of the short stint I did. “It certainly didn’t seem fast or anything, but we know that Suzuki has had a bit of trouble last year with speed. I got behind a couple of the guys out there and I hung out behind Nicky Hayden for a little bit just to sort of see and he definitely had better acceleration for sure."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.