Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time again. What do you guys recommend I use to lub up everything on my bike. No Vaseline jokes please. I need to lube my throttle and clutch cables. Lube the shifter and rear brake pedal. Also what do you guys use to clean the chain? The manual says kerosene but everyone I know uses Protect-All. As for chain grease is the aerosol can stuff as good as doing it by hand or does it get flung around more first time you take the bike out.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
chain i clean with parafin, though i've heard of folks chucking loads of wd40 over it to clean.

chain wax (i use castrol) is good, minimal fling. its an aerosol and works well.

cables, engine oil or 3 in 1 oil. when i bother to do it.

pivot points, normally grease, but i use the chain wax for ease.

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
this chain lubing thing has gotten to me..the chain is lubed internally..the only thing the chain really needs is to be cleaned..wd-40 is good..iused to lube the chain, but im not going to any more..just clean it..

im using some shit called gunk liquid wrench super lubricant with teflon for my cables..

·
Registered
295 Posts
i guess this brings me to my question, how exactly do you lube the cables? there isnt really an opening but i know i need to lube them, i used to have a needle oiler back at home but never could find it, nor can i find one in checker or autozone and im not going to pay 20 bucks for the oiler that the dealer has.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yes, o-ring chains are 'permanently' lubed internally, but there are other good reasons for lubing them anyway. one of them is cushioning the sprocket/roller interface. deterring corrosion is another.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
RE: Cable lubing.

The lube to use is a cable lube

It's usually a multipurpose lithium-based lube in an aerosol can. I got mine from a auto-supermarket. Just read the back, they'll mention it if it's suitable for cables.

Yes, i also use this for the pivot points on the bike. Levers and pedals.

I use a cable oiler, but it still makes a mess

A member here had an innovative approach to this. He used a latex glove, and cut a tiny hole at the tip of one finger. He then slip the end of the cable onto the finger tip, and then filled the finger with cable lube. And with a squeeze of the glove, similar to putting icing on a cake, the lube is forced down the cable
I think he used a rubber band to secure the cable end to the glove's finger.

I havent tried it myself, but i reckon it's a good idea.

KaTz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts