Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with any mechanism with moving parts, it it gets sticky it should be cleaned before being lubed. With a lock tumbler you can't reall disassemble it but you can give it a try.

There are two bolts holding the ignition tumbler to the top clamp. remove them and free the tumbler. It should disconnect from the harness.

The seat latch/helmet locks also are held by a couple of bolts.

The gas cap lock is a no brainer.

It they were MY locks I would do what I do with the locks I have on our sheds and out door exposed locks(aka Master Lock padlocks)...

Get a few cans of a spray solvent (like Gunk engine cleaner or a similar oil-based cleaner) that can have a spray tube (like a thin straw)attached to the nozzle.

Insert the spray tube as deep into the lock as possible and spray solvent into the core. I'd do this several times.

In-between sprayings work the key in and out, turning the mechanism back and forth. This should free the crap and let it get flushed out by the spray.

When it starts to feel like it should, or like you want it, spray a good oil-based lubricant. Yes, you'd rather have graphite but there aren't any that will displace the solvent. Oil it is. Repeat the spraying until you're confident that as much of the solvent is displaced/diluted.

The lock should be ready for use.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks Simon,
I was thinking of trying that, however, I thought you were never supposed to put wet lubricants - oil - into locks. I had thought of doing what you suggested, then blasting it with brake or contact cleaner, drying it, then lubing again with graphite...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I pretty much do the same as simon, use an oil based lub tor the tumblers. Usually works pretty good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The locksets are all creaky and tight on my '88 750, after it sat, unused, for almost 10 years in some boring old guy's (dry) garage. I've put a bunch of graphite lock lube in them, but they are still *really* sticky. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dino, Ideally you're supposed to use graphite based lubes. Why? They have no hydroscopic quality to them. That means they don't attract water the way petrol based lubricants do. Like gas does when you leave it in a tank and you get a "bath tub ring" of rust on the inside after winter. Oil isn't as bad as gas, but there are portions of the molecules that are charged and will bond with water. Graphite, being carbon, has no charge worth mentioning. It would be happy left at intense temperature and pressure for many years to change its crystalline form...ah the diamond...

·
Registered
518 Posts
this is one of those instances where all you need is some
and some WD-40...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts