Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain makes a chinging sound with I'm out raiding. Atleast I think its the chain....nothing that sounds serious. How often should I lube the chain....and what should I use to lube it with. What do you do...just put the lube on the top & bottom of the chain? How much?

·
Registered
610 Posts
If your chain is making a noise it might be too loose. Make sure there is not too much slack. I have used both chain wax and spray lube. I prefer the spray but it helps to have a stand to apply the lube. I spin the tire and apply it to the whole chain. The down side is after the first ride i have lube that spashes on the bike that has to be wiped down. As far as how often, i just eye it up when it looks like it needs it. I had a friend who's chain started to smoke cause it got so hot.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Every time you wash your bike, after rain, any wet situation....check your recommended chain slack
against u r manual.....

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is what I do:
Buy - Maxxima chain wax. I lube my chain WHEN I GET home from a ride because the chain is hot and the wax will melt into the chain. I let it sit until my next ride (another day). THis will reduce the sling effect and save on cleaning chain lube off your undertail. Then the next morning or before the ride, I check chain slack. Manual calls for .08 to 1.2 inches of slack. Try to test half way in between the front and rear sprocket. Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
654 Posts
This is what I do:
Buy - Maxxima chain wax. I lube my chain WHEN I GET home from a ride because the chain is hot and the wax will melt into the chain. I let it sit until my next ride (another day). THis will reduce the sling effect and save on cleaning chain lube off your undertail. Then the next morning or before the ride, I check chain slack. Manual calls for .08 to 1.2 inches of slack. Try to test half way in between the front and rear sprocket. Hope this helps ya.
... and measure the chain in several locations, they don't always stretch evenly

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is what I do:
... and measure the chain in several locations, they don't always stretch evenly
He means rotate the tire and recheck...........

·
Registered
213 Posts
u just move the chain up and down in the middle(bottom side) and measure how far it moves.it should be one inch from the center of the chain. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
OK...not very mechanically inclined here. How do I check the slack? Do I need a special tool or is it pretty simple?
All you need is provided in your tool kit. Here's a quickie on the adjustment. Put bike on stand. Pull the cotter pin (if applicable) loosen axle nut, use 12mm wrench to loosen the locknut located on the swingarm on each side of bike, then tighten chain by using 10mm wrench provided to dial the axle either forward or backward (on both sides) to achieve the 20-30mm of slack at chain mid-point. Retighten everything loosened during adjustment and then check your slack once done since the slack will tighten up somewhat as you retorque the axle nut. Make sure the wheel is evenly aligned using index marks on swingarm or by measuring. Done. If it has tightened up too much during torquing of axle, loosen everything the above way again and loosen/tighten to bring it into range.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
+1 Maxima

Scott

·
Registered
650 Posts
it seems kinda scary doing it the first time.. but honestly its Very easy. you do it once and you'll kick urself for not thinking u could have done it before !

I prefer to lube the rear sprocket.. ride the bike for 10 mins.. then i wipe off all lube on the outsides of the links so only the rollers have the lube needed. then i do a blast to 300 km/hr and hold it for 30 seconds to get rid of all sling. then i wash the wheel with wd-40 ! and voila no more mess !!

i much prefer to replace the chain every so often instead of having an ugly geasy chain and nasty lookin wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts