Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what tyres are you guys running salt lake bikes using?

need to start setting up my suspension geometry and I've been told to work out what size wheel/tyre combo to run.

i can't find info on what size or type of tyres people are using on the salt flats.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
There are forums for this stuff, but you're not nearly fast enough to need specific tires that they're running. Just run stock, or maybe a little bit more narrow.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Members @Maj750 and @Beairsto Racing would be able to answer this as they both run on the salt. I believe Maj750 is in Australia too ;)

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,609 Posts
It all starts with a rule book...the fine print can change each year.
Where do you plan on running and under which Sanctioning Body? Australia's excellent DLRA closely mirrors the SCTA, but not on everything.

Which class, what record?
You have to build your vehicle, and have the gear, to meet the current record's speed requirements, not what you think it might eventually do.

SCTA tire choices for over 200mph are quite limited. My experience with them this year, was an absolute shit show...but in the end, it's their sand box.
I now have Dunlops that have been tested at over 300, so that shouldn't be an issue next time.

AMA encourages riders to choose the tires, that essentially they are comfortable with, within reason.

I don't keep up with the FIM.

Again, get an applicable rule book for where you plan on running, and with whom. Each group has slightly different requirements to make it past their Tech Inspection.

What works for someone else, might not work best for you...considering different speeds, bike weight etc.

This is an exciting path, please keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,
Scott

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im looking at running on lake gardiner.
650cc unlimited, fuel & gasoline, going to go for production class and modified on the frame/bodywork.
goal is 222mph (seems like a good place to start)
current setup is a gsx-r600 03 model, motor will be built (collecting parts and doing research atm), probably looking at a precision or bw turbo, we're currently looking at setting the chassis up and i was told to work out what size wheel/tyre combo to run so we could set up the rear end etc
im really concerned about a tyre de-laminating at high speed, I've had it happen at 270kmh in a car before.... not keen for it to happen on a bike.

atm, we're trying to workout if a haltech elite can run at 17,000rpm

yeah Maj750 is about a 3hr drive from me ;) looking forward to one day going up to his workshop.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
We have had good luck with Michelin Pilot Power and Bridgestone BT03, if you are under 200 most any will do. And if you are looking to turbo the bike you really need to visit with Greg and see the 750. We have a turbo 600 here in the US making 317 HP on E-85.
BTW, I am Greg's American racing partner.

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hoping to surpass 200, and i definitely need to go see greg!
what did you get out of the 600 at bonneville?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Still working out the kinks at the salt with the 600. Did 196 at the Colorado mile pavement. We are using Link ecus but I know Greg has experience with Haltech as well.
Planning on coming down to DLRA meet again in 2020.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
FMJ
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing