Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or "How my weekend sucked".

Still struggling with the gixxer. I just can't seem to get my head around it and I'm really not enjoying it any more. I think it's time for me to sell it, get a lightweight and learn to ride again.

Saturday I was having a little trouble with my reference points, but felt like I was riding my ass off. Best time for the day was a 1:27.8 and both races I finished second to last. Sunday the rain started falling at the beginning of race 1 and the track was a mess. In my first race I pushed the front end in turn 2 and lowsided, and my second race I pulled out early because I was sliding around way too much.

Other "insults to injury":
1) I go to get my rains mounted on my spare wheels and find out that somehow the bead on my rear tire got ripped in the trailer and had to lay out about $200 for a new one.
2) I forget my spares box. When I crashed in 2, I bent and crack the left rearset bracket.
3) My buddy, doing his first weekend on his new motard pulls a second and a third, plus all of his finishes where top 10.

Anyway, Christine is officially for sale and the hunt is on for something small and nimble without a lot of horsepower. Time to go back to square 1.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
ouch.

sounds like you need to A) get a loading checklist for the trailer (i have done the same thing leave spares at home) and B) keep the rains mounted on the spare wheels or C) mount the rains to the roof or wall of the trailer to keep them from being damaged

get a smoker, and really learn to ride

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you have the bike measured?

Is this fever's old bike, what is it?
Yeah, it's fever's old bike. The bike is not the problem, it's me on the bike. I need to take a step back and learn to ride again.

JP, I miss my 125 sometimes, but not enough to get another smoker. My friend just e-mailed me that he may have a connection to an early SV, or he's got a basically complete FZR400 I can have REALLY cheap. The other option is buy a motard and race SMUSA because their Northeast series is run an hour from my house.

I have to say this was the first weekend I truly hated racing.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
I have to say this was the first weekend I truly hated racing.
Sorry to hear bro . . . I didn't know how down you were when we talked up there this weekend.

To bad you cannot make it to that private track day at Loudon of which we spoke. I'm sure you would take some steps in the right direction with a bit of seat time on the 600 riding with us, but I understand your other obligations and time constraints too.

You have to do what makes you feel comfortable and gives you the most enjoyment (the whole purpose for doing this shit in the first place). An SV650 might not be all too bad of an idea. If you have trouble finding an SV I've got a buddy who is probably going to be selling his soon which has a bunch of goodies to go along with the package.

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
The bike is not the problem, it's me on the bike. I need to take a step back and learn to ride again.
You need to stop racing at NHIS and venture down to Summit, VIR or out to Beverun. Change it up a bit and you'll prolly have a good time.

njracer

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry to hear it bro. but im sure getting on a nice sv would cure a lot of the problem for ya.
I'm not sure if it will cure my head, but it should help my riding. There is a lot of stuff I know I need to learn and making the mistake (again) of riding a powerful bike is not going to help. The two things I miss most about my 125 are amazing handling and being able to hamfist the throttle and not scare myself. Initially my goal for the season was to make as many races as I could. Now I'm thinking I may be time to just do a few track days, take the pressure off and get comfortable again. I dunno. The only thing I do know is after this weekend and talking things out with my team mate and my mentor, I need to back it down.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
The bike is not the problem, it's me on the bike. I need to take a step back and learn to ride again.
You need to stop racing at NHIS and venture down to Summit, VIR or out to Beverun. Change it up a bit and you'll prolly have a good time.

njracer
Yeah . . . you might want to listen to njracer . . . ALL of the 600 riders at LRRS this past weekend were saying the same thing.

In fact, I over heard Jeff Wood, Scott Greenwood, Steve Giacomaro, Jason Carter . . . etc. moping around the paddock Sat. & Sun saying "I could go faster and have more fun on my 600 if I stop racing NHIS and venture 8-10 hours down to Summit, VIR or out to Beverun."

You know . . . the LRRS bashing is getting a little old and tiring . . . .

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts

njracer
Yeah . . . you might want to listen to njracer . . . ALL of the 600 riders at LRRS this past weekend were saying the same thing.

In fact, I over heard Jeff Wood, Scott Greenwood, Steve Giacomaro, Jason Carter . . . etc. moping around the paddock Sat. & Sun saying "I could go faster and have more fun on my 600 if I stop racing NHIS and venture 8-10 hours down to Summit, VIR or out to Beverun."

You know . . . the LRRS bashing is getting a little old and tiring . . . .
Yo skippy....where did I bash LRRS?? Try reading my post.......he's not having fun on the bike....why not try a different track and see if that could help.

And since your going to bring up Wood and Greenwood, I'm quite sure they race at other places like VIR, Daytona, Barber, Homestead and other tracks as well......so what's your point??

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
To bad you cannot make it to that private track day at Loudon of which we spoke. I'm sure you would take some steps in the right direction with a bit of seat time on the 600 riding with us, but I understand your other obligations and time constraints too.
How private?

·
Highly unstable
11,359 Posts
personally i love loudon. its where i started racing and its a fun track, plus the facilities are great. although my main reason for not running there this year is simply cause the 1k will be more of a hinderance than a help on a track that tight. plus, you need to run every weekend up there to be competetive. if you miss a couple weekends your behind the curve of all the regulars so you cant expect to do all that well. if i show up for one or two events up there for a whole season i wouldnt be able to dream of going as fast around that place as i have in the past. it would take me two weekends to re learn the track and get up to a comfortable pace.. so i just dont see the sense in it for me. summit is a fun track. its mostly rights so its challenging for me since im used to mostly lefts. and its no where near as physically demanding as loudon.

·
Registered
259 Posts

What do they mean they by "I could go faster and have more fun on my 600 if I stop racing at NHIS"?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.