Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to just lower the bike in the rear(replacing the dogbone) and not the front also? Cousin just lowered his bike by his friend and didnt messed with the front,was told that it should be good, is that true? Just wanted to prove him wrong...

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
your better off shaving down the seat than by messing with the suspension. it affects the handling as well as decreases the ground clearance you need to turn

·
Registered
87 Posts
if you want to trade for stock linkage for my set of dog bones, we can do a trade. i bought a bike with dog bones in it and need to put it back to stock. LMK

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had my bike lowered in the back 2" and left the front alone. The ride was VERY scary, the bike did not feel stable at all. On the highway I felt like I could lose it by just a gust of wind at anything over 80mph. I took the bike back and told them the problem and he said maybe I should lower the front too. So we lowered the front and dropped the bike another inch in the front. So not the bike is sitting level WITH ME ON IT. Before it was level without me on it. Now the bike is MUCH better handling wise and I can cruise at 85-90mph with no problem at all.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Are you guys lowering your gixxers because you want them to look cool, or because you cant reach the ground? IMO Dont f*ck with the suspension at all, youll go ahead and ruin a magic bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am lowering my bike to better reach the ground for control instead of on my toes all the time i stop(traffic light). But to go back to the original subject, I told my cousin that it's not safe/good to just lower just the back...any more suggestion/comments???

·
Registered
2 Posts
good question, my toes are all that touch and I went to a dealership to ask about lowering just the back the man there told me just lowering the back would screw up the ride, make the bike feel unstable at certain speeds and during quick turns (dodging objects). Maybe that answers your question. My question is lowering the bike 1 to 2 inches do you really lose that much clearance during turns?

·
Registered
169 Posts
You know theres been like five billion posts asking this question, hell even I did it, but just search the forums before you post up stuff like this. ANd yes it will affect the handling if you don't set the suspension up right with the lowering kits.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey but I think lowering just the back will allow you to wheelie easier
Why would you want to just lower the back? It's an expensive bike. Dont go the cheap route or else you'll regret it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ok, heres your answer... Lowering the back DEFINATLY will affect the handling. You know those Rake and trail measurements you always read about in magazines? If you lower the back and not the front, it will fuck those up. It will Increase the rake angle and your bike will handle more like a cruiser. Also, the wieght distribution will change in a bad way, making your front wheel light. It will Oscillate more noticably, and will not track as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So as far as getting into a wreck, is he safe with that? I mean everybodys replies here are just, "suspension messed up"

·
Registered
360 Posts
My bike is lowered almost as low as it will get in the front (about 3 inches) and lowred 3" in the rear. It's pretty low; the bottom of the fairings is about 1 inch or so off of the ground while riding. Unless you want to dive into corners (I can scrape my footpegs on the ground before getting within a half inch of the edge of the tire - chicken stripes-), I wouldn't recommend doing it. I'm not much of a corner person, so it suits my style of driving just fine. I'm used to a lowered car, too, so I'm careful enough driving around to not screw something up. I did it mostly for looks, but it helped a lot at the dragstrip.

It didn't affect drivability or stability under normal driving (aside from hard cornering); braking and acceleration seemed a bit better, however. I love it overall, and would do it to any other sportbike that I owned.

In my opinion, if you're going to take the time to lower the back, make the front evenly low. The back takes a lot longer to lower than the front anyway. I had my back lowered 3 inches from the get-go, and the front about an inch. I lowered the front by myself a few days later and I had the bike riding around the block about 15 minutes later. Peice of cake, dude

·
Registered
398 Posts
So as far as getting into a wreck, is he safe with that? I mean everybodys replies here are just, "suspension messed up"
Ok, this is a complex issue, so ill try to adress is the best I can. In terms of handling, lowering the back isnt in itself dangerous. It will make the steering 'Heavier' and there will be less wieght on the front tire making it feel sortof loose. Those problems by themselves MIGHT not cause your friend to wreck, but the bike will not handle the way it was meant to.

In slow traffic, just putting around town, the bike will be ok and wont wreck by itself. On the highway, the handling problems will amplify, and MIGHT not cause your friend to wreck, but like I said earlier, the bike will not handle how it is supposed to.

A MUCH MUCH more serius problem he might encounter is ground clearance. Even if your friend does not ride aggressively, if there is EVER a time when he must make an emergency turn, scince the bike is lower than it was meant to be, he could scrape hard parts on the ground and may even lift the tires off the ground!
This would cause an instant wreck. If he even needs to make an emergency turn at high speeds on the highway, the lightened front wheel could have problems tracking and could headshake badly side to side. If he is inexperienced (or even experienced, depending on the severety of headshake) it could cause him to wreck.

The bikes suspension geometry (the hieght of the back vs. the front) was very VERY carefully calculated by suzuki engineers with years and years of experience.
Almost evrything on the bike is designed to work best with the suspension geometry they calculated. Most times, even in stock settings, the bike will need minor adjustment (spring pre-load) to acheave proper geometry depending on the individuals riding position and wieght.

My advice is to keep the bike as close to stock settings as possible, altering them in extreme ways can be dangerous (especially if the rider is not experienced). If he has problems reaching the ground, a good suggestion by another gixxer member is to trim the foam in the seat, instead of messing with the suspension. If there really is NO other way to be comfortable on the bike, take it to a suspension set-up expert at a race track or dealership and explain the problems... They will most likely set the bike up for a compromise of handling and comfort. If he is comfortable with it, a good solution might be to use the 1-foot method at stoplights
(I do this and I have no problems reaching the ground). The only problem with the 1 foot method is if you need to back the bike up, it will be difficult.

Short answer: Lowering just the is potentially dangerous.. He might get away with it, but is it really worth the risk?

I hope this helped out, ride safe, have fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts