Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
125,522 Posts
Lowering the front is easy and free - and improves handling. You can lower it at least 20mm with no problems. Lift the front of the bike, unloading the forks - I do that by putting it on a rear stand and then lifting with a car jack under the crankcase right behind the oil filter. Have someone help you to prevent it from falling. Loosen the bolts that clamp the triples (and clip-ons if you have an "S") and move the fork legs up. Make sure to measure precisely so you move them the same amount. If you go further than 20mm, make sure the fender doesn't hit the radiator when the forks are fully compressed.

Personally I wouldn't lower the rear, is bad for the handling...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Be careful if you drop the bike down the fork tubes. It's going to change the steering response and it can catch you off guard the first time you go out. Be gentle with your steering inputs until you are used to it.

Engineers carefully make the front and rear height, so most people lower front and rear evenly. Lowering the front can increase steering response, but there's always a price.

To lower the rear you only need to replace the dogbones. Go to svrider.com and click on tips and tricks, I believe there is a guide there.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
125,522 Posts
Be careful if you drop the bike down the fork tubes. It's going to change the steering response and it can catch you off guard the first time you go out. Be gentle with your steering inputs until you are used to it.

Engineers carefully make the front and rear height, so most people lower front and rear evenly. Lowering the front can increase steering response, but there's always a price.
Like I said, I have the front lowered 20mm along with the rear raised about 50mm. No problems with stability. I've run it hard on the track after. There are two turn exits on that track that can give major tank slappers - if I hadn't had a steering damper on my GSX-R600 it would have done some good ones... My SV doesn't have a damper and still it only flattered once, then straightened out
So for an SV that's only run on the street, 20mm wouldn't be a problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.