Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the lowering links off ebay. I want to slam the bike like my old 02 gsxr 1000. If i put it on the lowest setting on the links, i think its 3". How far should it come down in the front? I usaully just slide the forks down 1". But is there a real measurement?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Re: Lowering my 05 gsxr 1000. How far do i lower the front?

well, what i plan on doing, once i lower the rear, i will measure the amount dropped, then i will lower the front measuring a static point, like the fairing stay, to lower it the exact same amount

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Cool..

I'm going to try to drop it level. It might be better to lower it more in the front to keep it down when 1/4 racing it.

Ill have to try it higher and lower in the front.

Thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts

I don't think that the 03-04's can be lowered on the triple tree like the 01-02's...I heard that the upper forks were tapered so you can't lower it but about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch...

I found out today that you can have some spacers put inside the forks and lower it without touching the forks in the triples....That would be the way I would do it if I were thinking about it...You retain the stock look on the forks and its slammed...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

My friend just lowered his 05 gsxr 1000 and slid the forks down alot.. Like 1 1/2".

·
Registered
941 Posts

you can try it, but I know i've read about this topic on this site before on the 03-04's, the upper fork is tapered and you can't lower the forks much.....

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts

that is true, you can only lower the forks like 5-6mm in the triples due to the taper of the fork tubes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Is that just on the 04 1000? Becuase my friend lowered his 05 600 alot more than that.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

You can lower it alot and not have to worry about the triple clamps. It is the clip ons you have to worry about. I lowered mine the first time and did not pay attention. My clip ons only had about 3/16 inch on the bigger part and the rest on the smaller diameter. So only 3/16" of clip on was gripping the fork tube. I rode around for awhile and then on one of my launches the clip on came off causing my bike to tuck the front end and go into the other lane. I almost crashed.
The 03-04 does not have the bolt holding the clip on to the triple. I put a set of vortex clip ons on my bike to get ride of the problem.

·
Registered
941 Posts

your comparing two different bikes....the 1000, 750 and 600 have all undergone alot of changes in the last couple of years....

·
Registered
66 Posts

SOrry I know this is kind of off topice but I just bought DOG Bones to lower my '01 GSXR1000. Can you tell me if they should be longer or shorter then the stock links?

I was thinking they would be shorter but I am not sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts

how many settings doe it have on them? 3 hole or 2?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

My post earliear was refering to 03-04 1000's as that is what he asked about.

The longer the dog bone the more it will lower bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts

It is a 3 hole dog bone. It seems that Shortening the bone would lower the bike but I see that it is really the other way around.

·
Registered
941 Posts

yip....Wierd how that works till you see how its installed..

·
Registered
38 Posts
i know im reviving this thread from the dead, but im about to lower my k4 1k, and im wondering about the clip ons i can change to make the top clamp down correctly. my question is whcih size do i need? the vortex clip ons come in a lot of different diameters and im unsure of which ones i need? or, what other options are there to properly lower the front on the tapered forks?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts