Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new bike and need to get a lowering link.

The dealer is trying to charge me and arm & a leg for parts and labor.

Is there a specific brand I should get? Do I have to wait to break in the bike first before lowering it and where can I get the best deals on the lowering link?

·
Proof u can't fix stupid
6,222 Posts
How much do you think you need to lower the bike? I'm really short (4'11") so I had to lower mine 2" in the rear and 1" in the front. But if you don't need much, try shaving the seat some (I know there's not much to work with there) and try using shoes with a thicker sole first. Only lower it as a last resort because it will mess with your handling. If you need to take it down a couple if inches with a link, you will also need to lower the forks some to do it correctly.

If you find you do need to lower it, go to a performance shop in your area that deals primarily with sport bikes. They can order your parts and all for you. I dunno where you are located but if you are in the SF Bay area, go to Fastline Cycles in Fremont. The guy knows what he's doing and he will do it correctly. :cheers

·
Registered
556 Posts
yup fastline is great they did my valve adjusment and dyno tune, but they charge out the ass. but as they say if u gonna do it do it right. but homie in berkeley is highly recommended as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 07' 750 n I'm 5'4".
I got the VORTEX LOWERING LINKS from motosport.com.
They ran me about $120 including shipping. Vortex has a very reliable product.

I had mine lowered 2" only in the rear.
Anything after 2" you start looking at work with lines n forks.
You do not have to have the front lowered either if you only go 2" in the rear.
Just so you know, no you do not have to break it in before getting it lowered.

I'm not sure about install pricing though.
My buddy has breathed n lived bikes his whole life and works for cycleworld
lol so it cost me a twelve pack of corona.

If you want to check out their site.. heres a link to all the lowering links they sell.
Right now they are running a special Save $20 off $150 purchase n free 2-day shipping.

http://www.motosport.com/street/search/index.php?words=lowering%20links

This is the link set they said fits your bike... if your interested. I hope it helps. Good Luck :)

http://www.motosport.com/street/product/VORTEX-LOWERING-LINKS-225/?catalogId=109531&refine=1&sMMY=SUZUKI%3BGSXR600%3B2009&srchHistoryURL=8slzo7a4||words~lowering%20links^parentCategoryID~category_root^categoryID~3^categoryName~Sport

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I ordered my lowering links through Dennis Kirk. I think it was like $60 for the pair (yes, the pair, not $60 ea.) and did that shit in the garage, I just had to have another person hold the ass of the bike for me to do it. Mine has 3 different height adjustments. 1 was stock, the next was 1 inch and the the last was like 2 or 3 inches. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i would go with the vortex ones... thats what my boyfriend used on my old 929 rr .. of course im hella short so it was pretty much slammed... no speed bumps or anything...look on ebay you can usually find a good deal then just take them to someone to install or if you know friends that can do it... its not hard...

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you check...some of the older bikes stock dog bones will drop the newer bikes just will have 1 setting though...ex: (K4 stock links are the same as the '96 lowering links)...may bring the price down for you..never know..peace

·
Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance and
5,533 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
yea...it was...lol..i thought it was a bot or something...lol

·
Fragile Little Flower of Texan Femininity
98,059 Posts
i'm 5'3" and didn't lower mine a bit. i'm really against it b/c as gixdeb mentioned, it will fuck with how your bike handles.

try shaving the seat a bit first. don't just worry about seat height, seat width makes a difference too.

again, i didn't do dick to mine (seat or links). guess i had to deal with my old bikes being bigger and learned to work around it. flat footing isnt' a necessity. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the help! i went ahead with the vortex i found for 40 bucks! now i'm going to try to install it myself!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Lower that thing. And make sure you take plenty of pics to document your work. Maybe get a few of you working on it. :cheers No really if you are going to do it yourself you will need some other hands to help you. Me and My buddy did mine in like 30 mins once the bike was supported. It is best if you have support the rear by straps hooked to the ceiling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did a search since my wife said she wants to lower her 600. We got her GS500 lowered and the labor was a fixed price for 1.5 hours of work. So if you know what the labor rate is in your area, this should help figure out the cost. Parts should be different from bike to bike and year to year but I think we got it for 60ish with shipping. I want to add another task if you're going to lower your bike... the kickstand needs to be cut down or replaced so that it doesn't stand straight up and fall over with a slight gust of wind. Had a friend cut the original one and weld a new plate for the bottom. Enjoy your ride.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts