Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local Suzuki shop and was inquiry about lowering a GSXR600 due to my short legs. The salesman was a putz
He was saying you can lower for $400. I asked him is it just raising the fork tubes and puting a "dogbone" in the rear? He just looked at me funny. So my question is lower a GSXR would it ruin the geometry of the bike for street riding.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
OK you are in for 10,000 different opinions. But I build custom bikes, and I know a little bit about suspension so hear me out.

Yes you will alter the geometry of the bike. Noticeble? Maybe a little on the streets. Impossible to ride? Not by a long shot. The difference will be so little that you probably wont even know, other than it will be more comfortable.

Now people are going to say shave the seat dont lower blah blah blah.... Dont shave your seat. Lower it with links and the forks. If you dont like it, you can go back to stock in 15 min. You cant put your seat back together in 15 min, and it will cost you more in materials to have it done.

The only real time you will notice a difference is on a road race track. Everyday street riding, go for it. ITs your bike, be comfortable.

THE BIKE WILL NOT BECOME UNSAFE JUST BY LOWERING IT, SO DONT LISTEN TO SOME OF THE REPLYS YOU MAY GET. I AM TELLING YOU HOW IT IS.

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
i assume a 750 to be the same ( I'm 5'4) thanks for the good advice, it's well appreciated amoung the short ass riders out here

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a short guy myself (5'4''). I've lowered my sixxer 1 1/2'' up front and 5'' in the rear.

Smurf is right. The difference is barely noticable.

Don't listen to the people who will scream that you are "destroying the performance" of the bike. That's bull. It's not their bike, and they won't be the person riding it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i just lowered my 01 600, at a cost of 135.00 for fully adjustable dog bones from heatwave cycles. i dropped 2in front and rear. a lot of people say itll kill handling but from what i have seen its helped my bike handle better. im not a super sport rider or anything but i do enjoy twisties and the occasional drag race at the track.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
$135 bucks are you nutz? 35 bucks I sell these for... in a machined finish. 45 for the polished finish. plus shipping (usually 5 bucks)

Scott

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have to agree $135 is way too much. I lowered my g/f's '03 ZX-6R. It cost me $45 for the dogbones and around 30min to get the job done. Not to mention everything is still intact on the bike so when she decides to do her next trackday I can have everything back stock in minutes. Also, I agree with Smurf the average street rider will not notice the handling difference. However, if you are an avid trackday guy, such as myself, you're not going to want to lower the bike at all. You actually need the ride height for better corner clearance amongst a host of other things. Hope that helps..

·
Registered
161 Posts
what exactly is involved in lowering a bike?

can mere mortals (i'm good with tools if it makes any difference) such as myself lower a bike with regular tools (screw driver, ratchet wrenches, hex wrenches, etc)?

i have a 2000 gsxr 600

·
Registered
27 Posts
i only wan to drop mine about 3/4 of an inch, do i still mess with the front or no? should i get some help with this? anyone in co springs that wants to help?

·
Registered
830 Posts
In addition to that, make sure you have a good floor jack to put under the shock, i don't remember if its mentioned in that thread but having the floor jack will help a lot.
what i do is put a 3' steel rebar thru the swingarm hole and lower the bike onto jack stands where the suspension moves freely.. this is easy and cost a few bucks

·
Registered
415 Posts
i always use ratchet straps and eye bolts threw the garage cieling to host the bike up to do work like that. works great! if anyone in so cali needs help with this or any other mechanical stuff on yur gixx hit me up. Smurf...shoot me out a set of your dogbones, i would like to chck them out. PM me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, sorry to bring back an old post, but what are the dimensions of stock dogbones from the center of each hole? My bike cam with lowering links with only 2 settings, and after raising it up, I still think it looks lower than stock bikes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since someone brought up the statement on needing the kickstand cut. Is there any companies that make an adjustable kickstand?? Then you can raise and lower you bike as often as you want wtih no problems.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i lowered my 05 1000 2inches in the rear and 1 in the front and it still rides good. i spent $45. but dont forget to cut or bend the kick stand

·
Banned
314 Posts
The only time you have to worry about a lowered bike is in high speed / lean angle turns. You bike loads the suspension in the turns. The lower your bike, the less room you have for its pegs and other shit hanging off your bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts