Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 GSXR 2001 K1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason the previous owner of this bike made is so the low beams do not work. On the relay for the low beams, the center pin which is a red wire and I believe is supposed to be power is cut. I was looking for a spot to hook it up to power and it seems as if this yellow wire is also power.

This yellow wire is located on the pin that is perpendicular to the center pin, and is the middle of the three perpendicular pins (Top pin in picture
). Im not sure if this one is supposed to be power or not. You can see from the images that it is spliced into blue wires and goes all the back to the battery.

Also could someone correct me if im wrong, because i dont have a fuse box cover on the bike, but i believe the fuse for the low beams is the blue 15A in the photos with the white wire going into it and the white/green stripe wire coming out?

Basically i am asking if anyone knows how the low beam is supposed to be wired up bceause i wired the red wire to what i believe is power and they still do not work.
Light Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

Finger Electrical wiring Cable Thumb Electric blue

Bumper Finger Automotive lighting Gadget Automotive tire

Finger Thumb Electronic component Nail Cable

Hood Wood Finger Bumper Gas

Carabiner Finger Electrical wiring Gas Cable

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,933 Posts
Download the service manual. There are wiring diagrams at the back. The E33 drawing is flawed by a missing section (scanning error) but if you compare it with the E19 drawing, you should be able to figure things out. There are only three relays, the interlock/turn signal relay, the fuel pump relay, and the fan relay. Your wiring has been cobbled and it will take some investigation to figure it out. As a guess, the extra relay was installed as part of changing the low beam to HID. I suggest that you get rid of it and change things back to the original configuration. This will take some effort to do well. You should be able to figure out what fuse is what by noting their wire colors and comparing them with the wiring diagram.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,933 Posts
It shouldn't be there either. Unfortunately your pics show changes to the main harness instead of the front. I forgot to mention it but the starter solenoid also is a relay. I can't tell what's going on but the lead to the positive battery terminal has been changed and seems too small. Or are there actually two blue leads there? Might the blue leads along the frame rail in your seventh pic above be them?

The low beam fuse has W and W/G leads to it. The high beam fuse has Y and Y/Bl leads to it. The FAN and FUEL fuses should be 10A. The other four should be 15A.

P.S. My #1 guess on what was done relates to conversion to HID, particularly an old HID system. Or did the bike once have one of those accent light systems? It's a big stretch but the relays and rewiring might alternately somehow involve an antitheft system or something that flashes the headlight during the day..

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
This wiring needs a clean up. Use Electronic Clean / Lube spray. Study the wiring diagram and learn every wire color. Often people cut and splice (and add ) wires without knowing what that wire does.
It could be possible to get this hack job working again, I guess it worked once. You need to figure out why the red wire was cut ? And Do the relays check out with a multi meter ?
Check fuses with multi meter. The two lower fuses, in your pic, are spares.

·
Premium Member
7,845 Posts
yup, looks like you need to sort some wiring, if at all possible score a nice headlight loom that's all there, or at least remove the one you have and compare it to a known working stoick one and rebuild that one to stock spec

aside from that gonna have to pull out the multimeter and begin testing, the service manual can walk you through a logical manner to save time and headaches, youtube.. sucks when people chop n' funk harnesses..

as Craig says, clean that entire wiring system front to back, clean all connectors with electrical contact cleaner, maybe get some small round brushed from a hobby shop get in and clean everything up, then pack every connector with dielectric grease, clean all your grounds..

wiring is my least favorite thing on a bike, why my fuel gauge still isn't working 100%, not looking forward to draining gas and removing pump either, gotta do it if I wanna sell it tho..

·
Registered
2001 GSXR 2001 K1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured out what he did and got it fixed. Knowing that those relays are not supposed to be there at all helped a lot. I just took the harness off and it was a lot easier to look at, also kinda confusing because he used really stupid wire colors.

In the photos, the blue wires going into the relays are the white/yellow wires for low/high beams. The white wires coming out of the relays are spliced to the other end of the low/high beam wires. Blacks are ground. Red was already cut and is nothing from what I can tell. The yellow wires coming out of the relays are spliced to those 2 blue wires going all the way to the battery terminal, which i think was also causing a small drain on my battery.

In the other photos I circled the 3 crimps I made to fix it. Also he had some 20A inline fuses on those wires going to the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
The 2 Spare fuses have no wires going to them. I see on K1 Workshop manual, this box is level, with relay to the front and fuse box to the rear, page 342, so maybe the 2 on the end away from the relay.
Attention here, the Workshop manual, wiring diagram, shows the fuse box to front and the relay to the rear.
But the pic on page 342, shows the other way ? (relay to the front) ?
You can ID the fuse by the wires going to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.