Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trans blew on my Harley F150 200 miles outside warranty... So I have been on my 91 1100 for a while racking up some miles.

I had a stg three jet kit installed and had it tuned on the dyno. It made 126whp. I thought that was a bit low for a 1215 kit. My bike was a CA bike so I replaced the CDI box with the 49 state. Supposed to be 5 more degrees. Felt much snappier after that. Then I replaced the Worn out DD canister wtih a new one. The new one was much longer. The second I did that the bike felt soft in the middle.

I also noticed that Running down the highway at 80mph realy heats the motor up. I dont want to look for problems that are not there but it sure as hell seems like its blasting my legs with heat. I probably have 30,000 miles logged on Oil coolers. This one seems toasty. Could it be that my jetting is now lean?? Cracking into the throttle seems soft on power. Going half way seems better. WOT in the middle seems to have slightly less power then if I back off. 7K up it rips.

On the way into work this morning running 80-90mph and getting on it pretty good I again noticed she was really hot. Its about 90F outside so that does not help. I pulled off the highway after a 15 mile ride and noticed the idle was up to 1200 rpm. I smelled fumes and looked down thinking I had a fuel line leak. I noticed puffs of white smoke out the left side by the carbs. I rode into work and had a look at idle. Its smoke comming out of the top breather line that is now laying on the carbs. The amount of smoke was about like the smoke out of the tip of a Cigarette. Constant streams. The frame was slightly oily right where the smoke was hitting. I cut the engine off and came in to right this post...

Blow by? The motor should be tight.. It has low miles on the kit. Is that normal for a hot running bike? Should I route that into a carb filter or make a catch can?

C

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
whenever the oil temp rises to about 110-120C fumes will get out of the breather hose. That is normal.

I'd suggest you get a oil temp gauge. Oil at the pan shouldnt exceed 120C. With a 1216 kit, at the freeway, you shouldnt have overheating issues, tho you'll be closer to 120C.

If you do stress that engine a bit more(ie racing, etc.), an aux oil cooler is a must with a 1216 kit. There are cheap trans oil coolers on ebay ($50) that work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.. So I was right in saying that I feel it is running hot. Since I changed the pipe and added 5 degrees of timing I guess its lean. Should I raise the needles a clip? I have 190 mains in now. Raising the needle should help the cruise and the middle right?

C

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: Lots of seat time on my 91 1100 recently... Carb questio

Absolutley raise the needles. It's definetly getting more air now.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts

Plug chop it. Empty road, warm bike, wide open throttle, pull clutch/chop throttle, hit kill switch, stop on edge of road and pull a plug. Should be white bordering on maybe light tan. No black. Carefull the plugs may be hot. Should pull to red line in all gears too. Troy341

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok. I took the carbs off and found the needles almost to the top. I put them at the third down raising the needle. I have not ridden it yet but will in an hour. Its 105 outside so this will be a good test. Thanks for the advice guys. I will post back in the morning to let you guys know how it went.

BTW... Where can I get the small O rings on the carb tops? Mine are old and cracked..

Clark

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

If it accellerates harder when you back off the throttle (at wide open) your mains are probably too big. Although, as you may know, it may be lean in the midrange, and rich at WOT. About your needles, keep raising them one notch at a time, until the bike stops getting faster everytime you do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok guys.. Here is the deal. With the Needles raised one clip, I rode the bike 20 miles. I was pretty hard on it and did alot of wot and high speed running.

I believe its now running cooler at cruise. I did not notice as much heat but its hard to say. Its 105 out and heat is pouring off the engine of course. But none the less, I was not worried about the heat like I was this morning on the way into work with the needles lower.

The situation of having more power at less throttle is now gone. Its a much smoother power band now. At least it was gone tonight on the way home.

The biggest thing I want to comment on is this. The Sound of the induction has changed... ALOT. I now hear a lower pitched induction noise from the carbs under hard midrange throttle with a more "choppy" sound. Its so hard for me to explain. I hear more noise from the carbs now and its a lower tone with more caractor. I guess thats normal. Before changing the needles around the midrange was kinda dead and the sound of the induction was softer and smoother. Now its lower pitched and more choppy. The overall note of the pipe and induction is lower sounding.

Power seems nice. I never had a chance to really crank on it in lower gears but from 60-100mph in top gear it seemed strong.

When I pulled in to the house I noticed that the idle was up to 1200 rpm. Even in 105 heat after the bike sat for 8 hours I had to choke it a bit to keep it running after the start. In 1 min I can close the choke. The idle is low.. Almost stalling but it does not. 2 minuts of riding it idles around 900rpm. If its hot and I just get off the highway it runs 1200rpm and sounds a bit fast. Is this normal since its hot?

I still had puffs of white smoke comming out the breather tube when I got home. Not as bad as this morning but its still doing it. I never noticed my 90 1100 doing this. This one certainly does...

C

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

The idle will always be higher when the motor gets heated up than when it is cold. You can minimize this by being meticulous in dialing-in the fuel-mixture screws. This will also greatly affect the high-rpm, small-throttle-opening cruise mixture, as well as the throttle-response. ...but it (the mixture screw setting) will have very little effect elsewhere - almost none at WOT.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Considering that I need to use Choke to start the bike in 105F means that I am lean on the Mixture screws right? If so which way to I screw them and how much? 1/4 turn? Out or in?

Thanks!

C

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Considering that I need to use Choke to start the bike in 105F means that I am lean on the Mixture screws right? If so which way to I screw them and how much? 1/4 turn? Out or in?

Thanks!

C
Out is richer, in is leaner. If you wind up needing to set them more than 3 1/2 turns out, replace your pilot-fuel jet with the next larger size. If you wind up with the mixture-screws with less than 1 turn out, replace the pilot-fuel jets with the next smaller size. If you hafta replace the pilot-fuel jet, then you should re-tune the mixture screws. Keep in-mind, your float-height will affect the idle mixture (and all the other ranges/settings but to a lesser degree).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

The best way is to set them each by ear. I'll wait to see if you want to know how before I long-wind you with the directions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts