Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the bike used 2 weeks ago, it came with 1 key that I might have thrown away with my worn out riding gloves. At any rate, I don't have a key for my bike (01 gsxr 600) and it finally stopped raining!

How hard is it to replace the locks and ignition without having the orignial key to open up said locks? Is there a way to get a replacement key from Suzuki or some other source, assuming the previous owners didn't replace the locks and they ones I have are from the factory?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forum search function works great! Found a similar post and I'm calling locksmiths now. Still would like to know what to break and what not to break if I have to change out the locks/ignition, but hope I don't have to go that route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't even bother calling a locksmith on Sunday, $$$ouch$$$. Cheaper to replace the lock set.

·
Registered
304 Posts
taking off the ingition is easy, you remove the tripple tree then unbolt the ingtion. take to lock smith and get it keyed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the same problem last year. I called a local mobile locksmith and he came right out. He had all the key cutting tools and everything in his van. He simply looked at the iginition, checked in his book, and voila, a key was made. He just has to get the right cuts according to the tumblers in the lock and everything. You might try taking the side key lock off your bike, and having them match it to that in case you cant find a mobile locksmith. I remember paying about $60 bucks for it, not bad at all. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Another which is even EASIER is to take your 4 gas tank alan bolts off that hold down the gas cap lid. It uses the same key to get into it, so take that off and take it to a locksmith.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts