Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding along and the bike just quit and I lost all electrical including lights and gauges. The battery is good, and when I jump the solenoid, it turns over as usual and you can smell the raw fuel coming out the pipe. I have lost power to the coils and cannot figure out if it is a bad wire or some kind of box. The fuses are all good and my 86 1100 has has numerous wiring problems since it is 19 years old, but always comes back to life. Any ideas so I can get her running again?

Thanks

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Check all the plugs where the harness connects to stuff. Sometimes they vibrate a bit loose and cause arcing and sometimes intermittent electrical shorts. Then these things get fused in a way to kill the connection completely. I had that happen to my ignition plug-in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Circuit-breaker thingie? Where would that be located? I have never seen anything resembling a circuit breaker on my 86 1100, but it sounds important.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Suzuki uses this thing on several models - I'm not sure exactly which ones though... it's under the battery-box on the slingshot models - look in the vicinity of there and also starter-solenoid and fusebox. It's about the diameter of a quarter, with a flat on each side, and it will have two large-gauge wires going into the bottom. It's wrapped in what looks like clear heat-shrink tubing, and there's a tiny little button (smaller than a pencil-eraser) on the top-side in the center.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have been looking for a harness for ya but nothing that I'd use has come up, most are brittle and or been hacked up. I'll still keep looking but you might want to get a new one. Use this LINK and enter this number 36610-06B00 and it will come up with a few different places that have them for cheap. There priced better than any you'll find up here, every salvage shop thinks they have gold.

Cheers

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FASTCAT RULES
!!!! It was the circuit breaker thingy and she fired up instantly...THANK_YOU.

Thanks for the help Ryan and I gotta replace that old rotten harness.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Good stuff. She does r0x0rz, fo shizzle.

Thought maybe I'd go look for mine while the bike's inside here, and before I actually may need to know someday. Where'd you find it? I can't see mine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is under the battery and just to the left of the fuse panel on the brake side. it looks like an oval relay and has a clear soft rubber piece. There are no markers and no real swithch, but you push in on the soft rubber and it clicks (if tripped).

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I need to find a stock(ish) oiler and take a photo of this thing... it's a great idea, I just wish Suzuki had it a little better-identified. There was a guy who brought a quad (Suzuki 400) into the shop last week for "electrical troubleshooting". I dug around, found the breaker and pushed the button in, and all was well again.
I love the easy fixes!

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Thanks for the lead. I'll have to wait until I replace my flashlight to get a better look for it. Dropped the maglight one too many times I guess.
Never could figure out how to put the replacement bulbs in. I always end up with a bunch of little useless maglight parts.
Yep, lost the manual for it.
This was my third one. Think I'll get a normal cheapie flashight the next time.

Maybe I can get a pic of the breaker when I find it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will take a pic on the weekend and try to post. You do not need a flashlight to see this.....just dont work in the dark

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
That's the problem. It's a bit dark in the corner where it's stashed... Had a trouble light for the spring makeover, but it went back to it's owner. What colour is this thing?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I beleive it is beige with a clear(now yellowed with age) rubber cover and It is held in a black rubber strap.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Never could figure out how to put the replacement bulbs in. I always end up with a bunch of little useless maglight parts.
ya know if you unscrew the battery compartment. and pull off the spring there is a extra bulb in there
and unsrew the other end to put the light in
how you adjust the beam if you unscrew it the buld is there.
now you can have a bunch of working mags laying around
one for the car
one for the bike
one for the house
one for the garage
so on.!!!!!!

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
I knew there was a bulb, but couldn't find it on the first mag light I had. When I bought the second one, it came with an instruction manual, and showed where the bulb was hidden, but.. I'd already tossed the first one. And see, there's the main problem. The bulb never fits into where the other bulb came out... There's these really tiny wires on the bulb and all they do is bend. I don't know what I'm doing wrong..

I really am good with electrical stuff, but these damnable mag lights have me pulling my hair out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts