Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIP
Tampa tribune had another article today about a 32 year old male that purchased a new 2005 GSXR 750, drove off the lot and died after losing control. He did not have a motorcycle endorsement on his drivers license.

http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGBGR1ENX9E.html

I did not know this guy, but I can't believe that dealers are allowed to sell a motorcycle to anyone without verifying that they have a valid motorcycle endorsed drivers license!

When I bought my 750 the dealer made a copy of my drivers license to keep on file. What about the rest of you?

·
Registered
992 Posts
RIP sorry to hear that.
My dealer never asked to see me license.....Even when I testrode the bike. I guess that is how they sell more bikes and can still sleep at night.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
RIP!

Listen newbies!!!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dealers should never sell motorcycles to people who have no license to operate it. I'm sure it is a Civil Court issue. Not that it would bring the rider back. Those who don't have a license will find a way to get a bike anyway if they really want one. Just like anything else.

Just sad. ride safe everyone...

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
I hate hearin stories of guys goin down let alone thsoe that don'r survive. RIP. seems like a lot of casualties thsi year. i bought my 1st biek thsi year aswell jsut 2 months ago. same deal 2005 Gixxer 750. But had i had one of my buddies rdie it home for me.. and yes my dealership also made photocopies of my Drivers license aswell.

ride safe Guys

·
Registered
610 Posts
My dealer made me show the license endorsement and proof of insurance before i was able to ride my bike home. I guess to some dealers, the sale is more important than the safety of the rider.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
forget an endorsement:

how about not selling new riders anything that ends with an "R"

sorry all u new riders but i don't think a race machine that can match any sports car, reach speeds of 150+, 0-60 under 3 sec., be easily financed by a kid with a mommy and daddy co sign. Or even a 21 year old with his own money. I demand a CC restriction for a year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
how about people taking some responsibility for their own actions. I'm sorry the dude got killed but he was over 18, could vote and could buy any motorcycle he wished. His bad, nobody elses. We don't need more laws we need smarter people!

·
Banned
130 Posts
Dealers should never sell motorcycles to people who have no license to operate it. I'm sure it is a Civil Court issue. Not that it would bring the rider back. Those who don't have a license will find a way to get a bike anyway if they really want one. Just like anything else.

Just sad. ride safe everyone...
When I bought my first new bike in 1990, not only did I not have an endorsement, I had been riding for three years already! All certifications on those liscense mean is that you're certified to ride in a parking lot on a toy motorcycle! Unfortunatley this guy must have mislead the salesman into thinking that he knew what he was doing. The good news is, there's a new 05 750 for sale cheap!!!

·
Banned
130 Posts
how about people taking some responsibility for their own actions. I'm sorry the dude got killed but he was over 18, could vote and could buy any motorcycle he wished. His bad, nobody elses. We don't need more laws we need smarter people!
HOORAY
there is hope for humanity yet! the boards need more replies like this one!

·
Banned
952 Posts
down here, you cant get a motorcycle license without owning a motorcycle first, so its impossible for a new rider to have a license when he walks into a dealer to buy a new bike. blaming the dealers is dumb. their job is to sell bikes, not hold peoples hand and wipe their ass for them. besides, the guy was probably doing something dumb.

·
Registered
71 Posts
R.I.P

I stay in Tampa and I didn't hear about that. That's scary man. I didn't know that dealers could do that. I thought it was like purchasing a car. So much to learn.

·
Registered
111 Posts
To me they both are responsibe. How can it be illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under 21 but it's ok to sell a serious high performance machine that can kill you much faster to someone who can't ride it. Makes no sense to me. Dealers and potential riders need to act more responsible. It shouldn't even come down to laws. People need to use their common sense. If you can ride, learn. If you know a person can't ride don't sell the bike to him.

just my opinion

·
Banned
952 Posts
To me they both are responsibe. How can it be illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under 21 but it's ok to sell a serious high performance machine that can kill you much faster to someone who can't ride it. Makes no sense to me. Dealers and potential riders need to act more responsible. It shouldn't even come down to laws. People need to use their common sense. If you can ride, learn. If you know a person can't ride don't sell the bike to him.

just my opinion
by that logic various retailers should stop selling knives, guns, alcohol, cigarettes, bug spray, lawnmowers, bar-b-que pits, drills, ceiling fans, and God knows what else because those could all kill you. you cant blame the dealer for selling a bike. thats what they do. thats why theyre there. they are not there to give public service announcements and install training wheels. its up to THE BUYER to be sure they can handle what they buy. the dealer is not responsible for a new rider getting wasted. if i buy fireworks and blow one of my fingers off, its not the firework stands fault. people need to be held accountable and responsible for their own actions. why is it when some fool dies on a new sportbike everyone wants to blame the dealer? a new rider can just as easily die on a goldwing. how about we just be real and accept the fact that sometimes darwin wins.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Lost another rider yesterday in Tampa - RIP

I'm tired of hearing about "bike restrictions." Do you really think that this person would have been better off riding a GS? Remember this, all bikes have the potential to kill you, but its the person who makes the decision to be stupid, ride beyond thier abilities, and endanger their lives and the ones around them. I find it unfortunate that someone had to die on a motorcycle, but its about time people become accountable for their actions and quit blaming other things (bike is too powerful, blah blah blah). I am pissed that there are more idiots who ride sport bikes and give the rest of us law-abiding riders a bad name. I would't be suprised if we see a MAMR - Mothers Against Motorcycle Riding!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts