Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was checking if i was in 6th gear clicked up 0n the shifter and usally it stops but this time it went up. i was able to down shift to 4th then i lost all gears.i was told it sounds like the pin for the shifter worked its way loose.

Has this happend to anyone here?
is it an easy fix as long as the pin didnt cause any internal damage?

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Take off the clutch cover and inspect it, most of the time its the screw on the shifter drum star that comes loose. Pull the screw out and put loctite on it and put it back in.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ...
i hope it is as easy as that sounds

·
Registered
96 Posts
Please update what happened. I'd like to know if you had to remove the clutch basket
to fix this and also did it give you any warning?

·
Registered
951 Posts
To do anything to the shift star or springs in that area yes, the clutch basket must be taken off. One big nut is all !

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please update what happened. I'd like to know if you had to remove the clutch basket
to fix this and also did it give you any warning?
no real warning.. it went soft felt like it didnt want to downshift then i pressed down again and lost all gears.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Smoke.... Does any one know if this issue was rectified on later models ie 03+?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pulled the clutch cover and took out the clutch springs and removed the clutch plates....gees the clutch basket nut must be a 29mm...well i am in the process of getting the socket and a new gasket for the cover,but i could feel behind the basket and the pin is hanging there so it is the problem. now all i have to do is get it in gear so i can unscrew the bolt once i get the correct socket.im going to try to pull down that thing that looks like a beer bottle opener

·
Registered
96 Posts
Smoke, use a clutch holder or impact to remove the nut, I think you can break
something doing that way..............
Anyone know the skinny on this?

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Smoke, use a clutch holder or impact to remove the nut, I think you can break
something doing that way..............
Anyone know the skinny on this?

Yup use and impact gun, DO NOT MOUNT ANYTHING to hold the center hub. Its very brittle and cracks easilly. Just the other day my buddy cracked his, thank god I had a spare for him. Also when putting the basket in make sure the gear behind is in place as that usually pops out.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
talked to the mechanic at the race shop and he told me to press the clutches in with my hand and use an impact gun.(i will use a glove to spare my fingers just incase)

thanks guys i will atempt this over the weekend....
i have the gun now i just need the 30mm impact socket.

oh yea...good advice about the gear, the paper on how to do this sais you will kill the engine of its not back in place.(oil pump i think)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i got the basket off.i found the shift bolt in the oil pan,it will need to be replaced because the threads are stripped and the head is kind of smashed.now i have to figure out which way the spring washer faces...convex side of the spring washer faces the nut,so i am figuring --- )ll --- the rounded side against the nut?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts