Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not on me, on the bike!!

Pulled the stator/magneto along with the flywheel and bolts. I weighed those parts after at 5 pounds total so now my bike is at 356lbs wet.

Hmmm . . . where else can I shave off weight (on the bike!)

Bike fired up nicely (actually I forget it was in gear and it still started fine) and damn it revs fast, REAL fast.
Now i just have to lean out the FI and take advantage of some untappped power.

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
may I ask why you would take out the charging system out of the bike, dont forget to recharge the battery inbetween races bro

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
less weight on the crank to spin over, less rotating mass, less weight overall.

I already have put on quick disconnects for the battery to allow for charging in between sessions.

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
PDG said:

less weight on the crank to spin over, less rotating mass, less weight overall.

I already have put on quick disconnects for the battery to allow for charging in between sessions.

I know the mechanical side to it but wanted to know why you did it since if by chance you forget to plug it in it could cost you a race

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only needs a 30 minute charge to get 30 minutes out of it. Worst case scenario it gets plugged in with the warmers.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
After the bike is fired up, do you actually need the battery in there at all?

I saw a guy at the track, that every time he started his bike he would hook a battery up to some wires at the tail section, start the bike, then disconnect the battery and be on his way. I would think the weight of the battery would be a nice few pounds to lose. Of course, don't stall the thing on the line!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
NoBull said:

I saw a guy at the track, that every time he started his bike he would hook a battery up to some wires at the tail section, start the bike, then disconnect the battery and be on his way. I would think the weight of the battery would be a nice few pounds to lose. Of course, don't stall the thing on the line!!
You saw a guy who ditched his battery and kept his charging system

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Quick Toy said:

NoBull said:

You saw a guy who ditched his battery and kept his charging system
Gotcha. Can't have it both ways, eh

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
I give it until after october before you have the charging system replaced...

But if it works for you, then see what happens..

R

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would they take the battery off and leave the charging system? Seems rather silly. Much more benefit to keeping the battery and killing the charger.

Anyway, I have no doubts this will work fine. Many many top riders I know run this way using only Battery Tenders. I'll be pumping a lot more juice with a full size charger.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Well, if you got a full size charger and they only have a tender, I'm betting you'll be faster than those top riders now

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
NoBull said:

The bike will not run without the battery. Yamaha used used to hook a battery up to Gobert's bike to start it, so it wouldn't kill the little on board battery they used to run the fuel injection and ignition systems. A charging system alone will not run a bike(not a modern four stroke fuel injected sport bike)
Some bikes do run just off the juice from the stator, but mostly off road stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
Ryno
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing