Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took off my shift linkage and front sprocket cover because the sprocket nut was loose and wanted to tighten and when installing everything and going through the gears it goes from neutral to 2nd then 3rd and that's it.. was working fine through all 6 gears prior as well but am lost as to what it could be being as this is my first bike thanks in advance for any feedback!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will but Its off right now and I got vice grips on the shifter itself and cover off for clutch and now it seems to go first neutral second but no more then that..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it buddy I came out this morning and hooked it all back up and now seems to work.. very odd but haven't rode yet but from a stop you gotta rock it back and forth here and there for it to grab the next gear but it all seems to be working. Thanks again!!

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,883 Posts
You may still have to finesse it a little...sometimes just being off by 1 spline can make all the difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on man imma have to take it out for a spin here later and test it out! Thanks for the replies buddy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The linkages at either end of the connecting rod need to be pretty close to parallel for the best actuation. It can be a little bit off and still work just fine, but getting it out of whack on accident is pretty easy to do if you don't know about it.

Here's a 17 1000 for illustrative purposes, but the mechanism is pretty much the same on most bikes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recently took off my shift linkage and front sprocket cover because the sprocket nut was loose and wanted to tighten and when installing everything and going through the gears it goes from neutral to 2nd then 3rd and that's it.. was working fine through all 6 gears prior as well but am lost as to what it could be being as this is my first bike thanks in advance for any feedback!!
Are you doing this with the rear wheel on the ground or have you got it on a paddock stand? You need to be rotating the rear wheel to shift into next gear. That's normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it was stationary.. it just threw me off because I've had it off before and was able to go through all 6 at a stand still but now I know lol.. I've had it out since and everything seems fine and better with that front sprocket nut tight.. 😄 got a front tire and brake pads on the way and ill be golden to see what the bike truly has 🙂

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
😏 That was a fun adventure. Nothing in the K7 manual about gear leaver / adjustment.
I guess Suzuki assumes, we all know how a constant mesh transmission works. (y)

·
Premium Member
93 gsxr 750w
3 Posts
Sprocket should be torqued to spec and on the linkage the should be two small holes that line up on the actual linkage bearing you will need to ensure chain is aligned i would suggest buying a printable copy of the repair manual probably 5 bucks On eBay not only as a new rider bc all need this will also allow you to service your bike ensuring everything is in proper working order and safe to ride for a fraction of the price

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on man ill for sure keep that in mind. I'm gonna need one because I got a whole other can of worms I just found when taking off the front sprocket to replace both sprockets and chain that the spline for the countershaft is worn to a point... lol so here we go with that ordeal 😄

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,842 Posts
^^^^ And that friends is why you don't buy cheap front sprockets.

K5gsxr42, you need to sit down for this.... you need to open the crank case and replace that shaft. In doing that, you'll also want to replace the bearings for that shaft and possibly the bushings as well. It's not going to be cheap. Alternatively, you could go completely redneck and weld the new sprocket to the shaft and accept that the next time it needs changed will have to be cut off. I recommend fixing it correctly.

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
Ouch, I know I’ve ranted on here before about sprockets and spline play, so I’ll keep it to myself.

To any new riders reading this on a google search, if you have even the slightest spline play on your front sprocket throw it in the garbage. In 25+ years of riding and every manufacturer under the sun, JT steel Sprockets have never done me wrong, and they really aren’t expensive.

That picture above makes me sad.

·
Registered
227 Posts
+100 on avoiding cheap sprockets. Like BBK81 said, JT is awesome. There are several that make the OEM stuff...Sunstar is one.

Personally, I run OEM because I'm happy with that gearing and steel is the only way on a street bike, IMO.
On my Kawis, the OEM has a rubber shoulder the chain rides on that takes out some harmonics. The aftermarket never does. Good luck...that sucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bought the bike with these sunstar sprockets back in February for 2200. Was gonna replace with vortex chain and sprockets until I saw how the splines look on the countershaft.. lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts