Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I just took my bike in for recalls and picked it up yesterday. One of the recalls was the front master cylinder.

Before I took it in, I also brought new pads, and levers too. The bike also had squishy brakes before I took it in.

I got it back yesterday, and they’re still squishy. It seems like maybe they were bled all the way? What are the best practices for bleeding brakes? Front & Back!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
I just used this same basic process to install and bleed Brembo masters on my 1000 and 600 this week. And same principle applies for the rear brakes as well.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,701 Posts
If the problem is fixed by bleeding, then the dealer that did the recall is not qualified to work on your bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the problem is fixed by bleeding, then the dealer that did the recall is not qualified to work on your bike.
That's what I was thinking... Especially with the master cylinder recall. The front brakes shouldn't be squishy...

Do you guys know if I should be using DOT 4 or 3?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just used this same basic process to install and bleed Brembo masters on my 1000 and 600 this week. And same principle applies for the rear brakes as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGgUw5uu40o

Awee sweet! Not sure if anyone will locally have a setup like that, but probably a different type. I'll hit Autozone or Oriellys to see if I can find something similar! Thanks for the tip, dude!

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,701 Posts
You're supposed to use DOT 4 but there won't be any difference between it and DOT 3 until you're doing a lot of heavy braking.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Awee sweet! Not sure if anyone will locally have a setup like that, but probably a different type. I'll hit Autozone or Oriellys to see if I can find something similar! Thanks for the tip, dude!

You don't necessarily need something like that, it just helps keep it clean and less messy. All you need is a clear plastic tubing of the right size to fit the bleeder nipple and a container to catch the fluid.

To answer your other question any DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 (NOT 5, 5.1) will work. The higher the number the higher the boiling point, i.e. higher performance and less resistance to fading from heat. I use Motul RBF 600 in my bikes.

DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are glycol based and they are all compatible and intermixable

DOT 5 is silicone based and not compatible with any of the above mentioned 3.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,857 Posts
If you have eBay levers, it will also feel squishy because of the crappy design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts