Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second wheel that I've been able to wiggle the rear tire and see movement in it. Anyone experianced this and if so, what was the cause and is it repairable. Last one, I JB welded (I know) the bearings in and they didn't move. Don't want to do this again if I can help it.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Are the bearings "loose" in the wheel holes you are putting them in? They are usually a pain in the ass to get into the wheels without freezing the bearings for a few minutes, etc.

BTW: You are using the spacer between the two bearings, right?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I'm using the spacer (been there before) and when the bearings were pressed in, I think the guy cocked them a little. Just don't know if it's safe or not to ride till I powdercoat another wheel.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The wheel bearings used in our bikes will be ruined if they are subjected to axial forces(ie running in the axle direction, left/right).

They are designed to withstand radial forces only (up/down, front/back: perpendicular to the axle; NOT side to side)

If you have a missing rear wheel spacer/wrong spacer/etc, then you will subject the bearings to axial forces when the axle is tightened, thus ruining them in no time.

Dunno if you ever swapped something in your rear suspension, when I swapped over to a 92-3 600 swinger, *every* damn spacer in the rear was different. Godd thing I also bought a 600 rear wheel, but had to buy all the spacers to make it work as its supposed to be.

If your bearings are not a press-fit in the wheel, then your rear wheel is damaged, and must be replaced/repaired before any further check.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The distance spacer is the one I took out of the wheel and yes it was replaced. My problem is that when my friend installed the bearings, he didn't use a press, just a plug he machined and a mallet. Normally works for me as well however, he cocked the bearings in the hub and caused them to fit very loosely. Now I have to 1. repair the hub (major pain) 2. replace the wheel (major cost and pain) or ....nope, no number 3!!! Just wondered if it was safe to ride today until I figure out what to do with it.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Your most likely going to blow the bearing.. last year I had a ruined rear wheel bearing on the right side. I replaced both of the bearings just for the hell of it.. I made it (no kidding) sixty miles and it was making the same noise and showing the same play. Turns out when I reassembled the bike I had two different chain adjuster brackets installed.. they looked the same to me when I eye balled them during assm, but they were in fact about 1/4 off (the hole for the axle).. I replaced the bearings AGAIN and used two matching adjusters and they are working great!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually had my hub machined by another friend and replaced the bearings tonite. All is snug again and doing well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts