Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry for the really vague question. I am just curious, what is the best way to try and start getting into road racing? I have been trying to do some looking online, but figured I would test my luck here to see if anyone has good advice on this.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you attended any track days? There is also also a sub forum for on track activities. Great information in the stickies there.
No I haven't. I live about an hour from Barber's so I am trying to look into going to one of their track days. I am also only about 2 hours from Talladega Gran Prix Raceway. So maybe I can get lucky and get in one of those 2 places soon.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
I'd suggest that you start attending track days or even enrolling into track courses. My first is on May 7 @ Texas World Speedway :banana

You may go and find out that you don't like it at all. It's a good way to network with other riders and talk to others who have/do race. Other than coming here of course :thumbup

Seriously, go look at those stickies.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd suggest that you start attending track days or even enrolling into track courses. My first is on May 7 @ Texas World Speedway :banana

You may go and find out that you don't like it at all. It's a good way to network with other riders and talk to others who have/do race. Other than coming here of course :thumbup

Seriously, go look at those stickies.
I think you are right about that. I am going to look into doing that. Sure do wish it wasn't so damn expensive haha.

I have already been looking at those stickies. Good call on checking those out. Thanks a lot for the info. Looks like I might be trying a track day in June at Barber's. I don't know if you have heard of it, but sportbiketracktime.com is a pretty sweet org. that offers track days.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
I think you are right about that. I am going to look into doing that. Sure do wish it wasn't so damn expensive haha.

I have already been looking at those stickies. Good call on checking those out. Thanks a lot for the info. Looks like I might be trying a track day in June at Barber's. I don't know if you have heard of it, but sportbiketracktime.com is a pretty sweet org. that offers track days.
I live in Texas at the moment and we have a couple of different organizations. Racing will be more expensive than just being a track day goer. Transportation, lodging, food, it all adds up. Another thing to consider.

Feel free to PM me anytime. My ultimate goal is to race, so I'm on the same position you are. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
First off, welcome to the addiction. Be prepared to sell everything you own, lose your family, be $50k in credit card debt, and have no savings, all just to race.

:lmao

I'm only kind of joking. I have seen all of that happen to different people chasing the dream. Track doesn't rhyme with crack for no reason.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Texas at the moment and we have a couple of different organizations. Racing will be more expensive than just being a track day goer. Transportation, lodging, food, it all adds up. Another thing to consider.

Feel free to PM me anytime. My ultimate goal is to race, so I'm on the same position you are. Good luck!
Yeah the more I look into it, I see just how expensive it can be. Like you said, I am going to try out a track day and see how it goes. Thank you for that. Not sure what I could do for you, but feel free to PM me anytime as well. Good luck to you as well:punk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, welcome to the addiction. Be prepared to sell everything you own, lose your family, be $50k in credit card debt, and have no savings, all just to race.

:lmao

I'm only kind of joking. I have seen all of that happen to different people chasing the dream. Track doesn't rhyme with crack for no reason.
haha no kidding. Definitely not a cheap hobby to have. I am looking forward to at least trying it out. I am a drag racer, but have always loved the curves.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
First off, go do a beginner track school.

In your area, Sportbike Track Time is the organization to go with. We have a few of their coaches on the site. They offer a fantastic beginner program.

Once you make your way up the ladder, and when you are about mid-pack advanced group, that would be a good time to think about racing.

And as you move up the ladder in terms of speed and track experience, you will realize what you need, what you don't need, what is going to be wasted money (horsepower), and what is going to be worthwhile money (suspension, brakes, tires).

You will also realize what you will need to take with you to the track.

Never go alone. That is a bad idea. And don't ride your bike to the track. Another bad idea.

Bring a pop-up canopy, some folding chairs, lots of water and sports drinks, plenty of healthy food full of protein, and enough tools to work on the basics of the bike.

Bring both keys to the bike. Leave one in the ignition, and one keep in your tow vehicle.

Get a good tire pressure gauge. Motion-Pro sells one that is fantastic.

Make sure your have new-ish tires, fresh brake fluid, and plenty of meat on the brake pads.

Make sure the bike doesn't leak any fluids.

Drain the old antifreeze, flush the system with water, and refill it with distilled water and Water Wetter.

Tape up your lights and turn signals, and unplug them at the connectors.

Remove your license plate.

Listen to the instructors and pay close attention to the part about flags.

Leave your ego at the door.

Work on line first. Learn the track.

Then work on body position.

Repeat those two things over and over and over.

Do not try to be fast. The instructors won't be impressed by your speed, and you aren't going to set any lap records or win the track day.

Bring a small fan to put your helmet on between sessions to dry it out.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
My L5 is going to be my double duty slut but this '91 FZR 600 I'm fixing up will be the dedicated track whore! Either way, I know the track will be a life long hobby. Trying to ride like that on public streets is a bad idea legally and for the safety of yourself and others around you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, go do a beginner track school.

In your area, Sportbike Track Time is the organization to go with. We have a few of their coaches on the site. They offer a fantastic beginner program.

Once you make your way up the ladder, and when you are about mid-pack advanced group, that would be a good time to think about racing.

And as you move up the ladder in terms of speed and track experience, you will realize what you need, what you don't need, what is going to be wasted money (horsepower), and what is going to be worthwhile money (suspension, brakes, tires).

You will also realize what you will need to take with you to the track.

Never go alone. That is a bad idea. And don't ride your bike to the track. Another bad idea.

Bring a pop-up canopy, some folding chairs, lots of water and sports drinks, plenty of healthy food full of protein, and enough tools to work on the basics of the bike.

Bring both keys to the bike. Leave one in the ignition, and one keep in your tow vehicle.

Get a good tire pressure gauge. Motion-Pro sells one that is fantastic.

Make sure your have new-ish tires, fresh brake fluid, and plenty of meat on the brake pads.

Drain the old antifreeze, flush the system with water, and refill it with distilled water and Water Wetter.

Tape up your lights and turn signals, and unplug them at the connectors.

Remove your license plate.

Listen to the instructors and pay close attention to the part about flags.

Leave your ego at the door.

Work on line first. Learn the track.

Then work on body position.

Repeat those two things over and over and over.

Do not try to be fast. The instructors won't be impressed by your speed, and you aren't going to set any lap records or win the track day.

Bring a small fan to put your helmet on between sessions to dry it out.

Awesome write up. Thanks for taking the time to do that. All extremely useful information. I have been checking out sport bike track time and I think I will be using them. I am starting a little late in the game(could be wrong). I'm 25 and have been riding bikes since I was 3. Street since I was 14. I hAve been looking into the road racing side for quite a while and think it's time to finally bite the bullet and get out and do it.

·
Call me Jake
269 Posts
Being in the South East, I think WERA has the most races in your part of the world. I race with CCS, which is pretty much the only option in the North East.

new racer handbook

You're not required to do track days before racing. Seems like most people do, I did, and I got my race license through the track day organization that I ride with. I know a couple of guys that started racing before track days became popular.

·
Call me Jake
269 Posts
Awesome write up. Thanks for taking the time to do that. All extremely useful information. I have been checking out sport bike track time and I think I will be using them. I am starting a little late in the game(could be wrong). I'm 25 and have been riding bikes since I was 3. Street since I was 14. I hAve been looking into the road racing side for quite a while and think it's time to finally bite the bullet and get out and do it.
I was a year older than you when I bought my first sport bike. I rode dirtbikes since I was in elementary school, though. I just did my first race with CCS this past weekend and I can't wait for the next round in West Virginia next month. If I can do it, you can do it. :punk

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I was like 28 when I did my first track day, 31 when I did my first race.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts

I was just at oriellys wander what type of coolant to get. I decided to hold off and I come back to this :biggrin

Thanks for all in info again Anthony :cheers

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
The best advice that I can give you about financing your track career is to have a budget beforehand. For example, to be competitive at the amateur level, is is gonna run you between $800-$1,000 every race weekend. Between tires, fuel, entry fees, and travel. To be competitive at the expert level you need to budget $1,200-$1,500 per weekend.

Track days are cheap relatively speaking. Figure $300-$500 per track day.

My 2011 season my wife and I budgeted $25,000. I went over by like $2,000 I think. But, I won a ton of races, won a few championships, and was turning expert lap times as an amateur, so I was happy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The best advice that I can give you about financing your track career is to have a budget beforehand. For example, to be competitive at the amateur level, is is gonna run you between $800-$1,000 every race weekend. Between tires, fuel, entry fees, and travel. To be competitive at the expert level you need to budget $1,200-$1,500 per weekend.

Track days are cheap relatively speaking. Figure $300-$500 per track day.

My 2011 season my wife and I budgeted $25,000. I went over by like $2,000 I think. But, I won a ton of races, won a few championships, and was turning expert lap times as an amateur, so I was happy.

Alright sounds good. I will definitely keep all of this in mind. I am probably going to start with a track day and go from there. Congrats on winning some championships. That is awesome. I just don't get most of the gp guys are so young and already at the level they are

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
The GP guys have been racing since they were like 4... And most of them come from wealthy families that can afford to have their kid at the track 200 days per year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gotcha. That makes since. About what I figured the case was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts