Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Indiana so it doesn't get really hot, but does get hot enough to make me wanna take off a jacket if it doesn't have some vents on it. Also interested in knowing about zipper protection to keep from scratching my tank, but assume most bike jackets have this. I'm sure the best I can afford is a textile jacket and here is what I"ve been looking at.

Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0
Fieldsheer Mach 4 (like this because of the ouside liner for wind and rain)
Astar T-Dyno Textile
Icon Team Merc

Thats really all I have found that I like and are in the ballpark. Any opinions on these jackets is greatly welcomed as well as good places to buy cheaper. Thanks

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Isn't the Team Merc a chick jacket? I'm pretty sure my wife's is a Team Merc... All pinkly and shit..
Anyway, if your looking for a good jacket for hot weather, I use the Icon TI jacket... It's built well, seems like it should hold up pretty well to a standard accident (don't make the mistake of thinking it's gonna hold up to a 100+mph or something...) and is very cool during hot days... I really don't mind wearing it at all... I'm pretty sure you can find them online for around $150...

·
Registered
257 Posts
newenough.com has the teknic lightning jacket on closeout for $125....

i got one and im pleased with it. only thing is, it doesnt come with a spine pad and elbow pads, but i have other jackets and i just switched the padding to my new teknic.

motoliberty.com also has the RS-TAICHI BET EVO jacket on sale for $299, you cant find that jacket any cheaper anywhere except on ebay if you're lucky. it goes for $450+ everywhere else.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
www.denniskirk.com

Closeout page on the right hand side, you will find several pages of jackets / pants / 1 piece suits starting under $100 and up from several different manufacturers. This is where I get most of my gear from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got this sweet GSX-R replica this spring for a little over a hundred. It's a Joe Rocket and I gotta say, it looks nice and is sooooooooo lightweight I love it since it still has armor in it and GREAT Ventilation air zippers. Not to mention it matches my bike.
I am also looking for a one piece leather suit like it...but would like to stay under 700 if possible...so if ANYONE knows where to get a one piece or two piece suit like I am always seeing in mags and so forth...please shoot me a msg. Check out the jacket though (it's textile) here http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=15720&department=112&division=1

Mine on the back says GSX-R not 1...so you might check your local shops. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the new shift jackets. I think you can get the textile for under $150, seems to be be pretty well made I haven't been down in mine...thank goodness. It keeps me pretty cool during the day. I'm in Indiana as well, so I know how the weather has been recently. The jacket has a removable liner so that helps some when it has been hot out. PLus putting the liner in when it's cool helps out a lot.

I don't know if you go to Dreyer in Indy very often, but they sell the Shift jackets there. I'm pretty sure the textile is around 150.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just down at dreyer today looking. I've looked at the Shift jackets up in Anderson at APS, they have some as cheap as 100 bux. I like those some, but I'm still unsure, need some more opinions please.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: Looking for good all around jacket 150 dollar price rang

need some more opinions please.
Leather, nothing else will do.
I've been down more times than my ex-wife (and that's a LOT) and leather is the only thing that will reliably stand up. Perforated for summer and insulated for winter. Put a rain slicker over it in wet weather and you're good to go.
Oh yeah, did I mention leather?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I've found a couple leather jackets. Basically I'm trying to decide between perforated or not. gonna cost me about the same or not. Jackets I'm looking at are:

Joe Rocket Sonic Perforated, comes with liner

Alpinestar TZ-1

Any help guys, I think I'm leaning towards the TZ-1 Since its cold more than it is hot here. Don't wanna buy a leather jacket that won't keep me warm.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

The perforated should have a zipout liner that helps somewhat when it is cooler. Keep in mind that most of your riding will be in warmer weather when the perforation will be needed. I actually have 2 sets of street leather, one perforated for warmer weather and one insulated (and 2 sizes large so that I can fit vests / additional clothing) for winter riding. I don't put my bike up in the winter and I've riden at 17 degrees.
If I only had one set of leather for the street it would be perforated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts