Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find out who makes a GOOD, reliable 9mm version of the 1911.

Rock Island Armory makes one, but I don't know anyone who has one, so I can inquire as to it's reliability. Main reason I want a 9mm is cost on ammunition. I can't figure out why .40 cal is SO much more spendy than 9mm, but it is what it is, so I look for a good looking 9mm.

This is the RIA model

anyone know of, or have experience with this brand?

·
Registered
357 Posts
While I have no experience with RIA, I have heard they are really excellent choice for the price. The only problem with 9mm in a 1911 is not enough load in the 9x19 cartridge to properly cycle the slide back into battery.

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell me more? Wouldn't they have made accommodations for that in that caliber?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Don't have first hand experience with that situation, but have heard the same thing more than a few times second hand. I don't know if this will be your first 1911, but the slide is very heavy, and it would only make sense that it would have FTF and FTE issues. Best bet would be trying to find one and try it yourself. Do a lot of research online about the 1911 platform, they're very finicky.

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shot the XD9, didn't like it. I like the reputation of the 1911 design, I just want cheaper ammo. :lol

I already have a Glock23 .40 :D

·
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as i
2,290 Posts
Many 1911's in 9mm have issues because it's a pistol designed for .45 and converted to 9mm. In the case of the Springfield EMP however, the pistol was designed from the ground up for 9mm. I love mine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I love the 1911, but personally I think they should be in .45 only. If you want something that is similar to a 1911, but shoots 9mm, check out the Hi-Powers.

·
2,290 Posts
I love the 1911, but personally I think they should be in .45 only. If you want something that is similar to a 1911, but shoots 9mm, check out the Hi-Powers.
^ THIS

The Browning Hi Power is John Browning's OTHER design, and is still to this day one of the best pistols money can buy. But.... Buy a Belgian Hi Power, they are the most reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I have to side with K3Gixx and Skullman14, but I have no experience with the SA EMP. What is your attachment to the 1911 platform? I ask because I think it is a poor choice for anything other than a range/competition gun.

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a military buff, but I want cheaper ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Understood. Just so you understand where I'm coming from, I think grip safety's are the worst idea ever.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
With out any sort of training, a person will usually resort to aiming at whatever is in their line of sight, i.e. the gun that is being pointed at them. Point shooting will usually allow the shooter to hit whatever they are aiming at, thus being the hands holding the gun being what is shot at.

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure I know what you mean.

·
2,290 Posts
If you have the funds, Wilson Combat offers most every pistol chambered in 9mm http://www.wilsoncombat.com/handgun-index.htm

This way you know you're getting as close to perfection as you can expect from a 9mm 1911. Nighthawk Customs also offer a nice 9mm (and I prefer them over Wilson).

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I should shoot like this guy.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
I'm a military buff, but I want cheaper ammo.

Perhaps you should look into a Tokarev then. They can be had cheaply, as former Soviet guns (or export/license variants, etc.) they have a cool history to them, and surplus ammo can be had reasonably cheaply.

And Fedor Tokarev must have had a 1911 to copy when he was designing it.

I've got a Yugoslavian M57 which is their version of the Tok. I've also got a Chinese M213, which is a copy of the Tokarev variant that Hungary made for export to Egypt.

If you're big on history, you should get a C&R license and get some C&R eligible surplus guns. The guns are fairly cheap, and so is alot of the ammo. And the cool historical stuff is just off the charts with actual milsurp guns from elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you're big on history, you should get a C&R license and get some C&R eligible surplus guns. The guns are fairly cheap, and so is alot of the ammo. And the cool historical stuff is just off the charts with actual milsurp guns from elsewhere in the world.
I think with the C&R license, you can also order directly from a supplier and don't need to do a background check since it's a form of FFL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts