Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of where in the Ma, RI, CT, NH where I can get a TRE for my K3 GSXR-1000?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Yeah, nothing to it... I wired mine in with a switch so i can turn it on or off... (helps to have it off for cold starting)
Look in the service manual to figure out which wires going into the ECU are from the GPS. If you can't figure it out, you can trace them with a multimeter... Just lift your tank... Under on the left side you'll see the wire coming up from the gear shift, has three wires.. One pink (position), one black with white strip (signal ground), and one green (neutral indicator)... Just unplug the two connections to the ECU and find out which pin the pink wire runs to. On mine it was on the right hand plug (facing rear of bike) about 4 in on the bottom row...
Once you know which wire it is (it'll be a pink on), cut that wire an inch or so back from the plug. Last but not least, find the thicker black wire with white strip coming out of that same plug... Just strip a little insulation off that wire... No need to cut it... That'll be your ground... Now get a double-throw single pole switch... (basically it'll have three connectors on the back, one in the middle and one on either side...) Mount that switch somewhere. You connections will be as follows... The "common" on the switch... the connection in the middle, will go to the pink wire you cut feeding INTO the ECU... One one side of the switch, you'll attach to the pink wire that was cut on the side coming from the GPS... In this position it will "normal" through the GPS signal to the ECU... On the other side, you'll wire in a 6.8k resistor (since you have a 1k, that'll also get you past the top end speed limiter). The other side of the resistor will attach to the ground wire (black with white stripe) that you found before.... When the switch is in this position it will feed the "6.8k" signal which will make the ECU think it's in 5th gear....

Don't expect to see massive gains in power... It really isn't very noticable at all. You WILL notice a sag in power around the 3000RPM mark, but nothing major... The BIGGEST difference is in engine braking... She's nice and smooth with the TRE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts