Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GSXR1100, I am looking for a chain and sprocket source, currently a 530 chain

Best deal? I do like durability

Best brand, i do like regina, have used them in the past, there are lots of chains and models of chains for each manufacturer

I like steel sprockets as opposed to the aluminum units, and stock gearing, I dont drag, just run the highways

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wonder why no answer for you?

I'll take a shot.
Gonna do track days? Go Aluminum and drop a size.
Want it to last? Go steel use stock size.
Want to buy crap? Pay less than a hundred.
Those fancy colored chains? Go ugly unless you take good care of them.
and wanna change ratio to get quicker? Its a 1100! You don't need quicker! And will mess up your speedo, without a speedo healer you don't know how fast yer goin. On a 1100 you want to know that.

Stick with a known name and there are O ringed and .....some other kinds. Either work. Just have one or the other. Only riveted master links also. You will need a breaker/riveter. Do not go.cheap here either or you will buy more than 1. And still not get a decent job. look for good reviews and NO harbor freight. They make some good stuff but their chain tool is not one. Sucks to learn the hard way.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering why no reponse.....

I hope my question wasnt too vague or stupid

lots of highway riding, stock gearing, I always use steel sprockets
I have used regina a lot in the past and like them, I always use oring chains, I always use rivet type master links, I never buy cheap or china chains, I have a breaker,and the tool for installing the master links

FYI, the 1100 isnt too fast, whats wrong with quicker, more ower, etc? The 1100 has a cable driven speedo, there is no speedo healer for them, and even with a speedo healer the speedo becomes a little inaccurate every time you switch the brand or size of the tires (Diameter matters) revolutions per minute, surface feet per minute, bla bla bla

To Clarify my question, I was looking for a chain recommendation, what do you guys run, what works and what doesnt

I always used steel in the past, never aluminum. Durability... does someone know of a reason why i should not use steel other than light weight

Currently its a 530 chain, should I stick to 530, or should i go 520 conversion? I usually use 530 on the 1100's but i see a lot of guys running 520 now....

I have always used regna chains, yes, the Gold ones that require lots of cleaning to keep looking good, I see ek, rk and other manufacturers out there that sell chains, but ive ever bought them before and wondered what everyone else was using.

My "best deal" comment referring to price didnt mean that i wanted to get a cheap walmart quality chain, I was wondering which company usually has the best deals on chains, or chain and sprocket kits

Ive been working on bikes since 1983, I have lots of experience, not a newbie by any stretch of the imagination, so im good there, however, im not a know it all, I dont think i walk on water, and I always like to get advice from anyone who just might know more than me by far, Thats why I asked all the questions about the chain

·
Juvenile Thinker
279 Posts
I have run Regina, RK, Renthal and SunStar chains, IMO they're all about equal, just go O-ring/X-ring for the ease of maintenance and durability. I use Vortex steel sprockets on all my bikes, dirt and street. Never had a single issue, can usually get a couple seasons of riding out of them pretty easily. Always replace chain/sprockets together. I run 520s on my 750s, if I had an 1100 I'd run a 520 there too, just my personal preference, no anectdotal evidence one way or the other on longevity. Currently running riveted masters on my road bikes, though I raced many seasons with clip master links and never had a problem with them when properly maintained. Again my personal pref, YMMV. I wouldn't use OEM unless you just like throwing money away...230$ for a chain and 80$ for a stamped steel sprocket? lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Bufftester
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing