Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to resurrect my 1100G - due to poor storage, the exhaust has expired - well, after I got the engine started, the exhaust spat all sorts of rusty bits onto the ground, and has a lot of extra holes to let out the exhaust gases. (Everything else on the bike is pretty good, but the carbs need a good clean and the front callipers needed a rebuild.)

The original exhaust is no longer available (which I am sure you all know).

I think there are the following options:

1. Find someone to cut off the old muffler, and weld on suitable bits for a slip-on muffler. The downpipes are OK.

2. Buy new aftermarket exhaust system

3. Search classifieds and hope

My worry about 1 is performance - will it need some form of retuning/rejetting? (And is it actually doable?)

The problems with 2 are:

a) cost
b) availability - I can only find two viable complete street systems - Cobra and Barracuda (from Germany). Yoshimura has a race system that I can get in Australia, but the website talks about needing fairing alterations - I still have the original fairing fitted, which is in good condition.
c) legality - It needs to be street legal in Australia (Victoria) and I don't know how I will go on a personal import system from Germany.

I'm not keen on 3 - time, and inheriting someone else's problems.

Has anyone had experience replacing the stock exhaust? Which way did you go? What systems did you use?

Regards,

Rob

·
Factor
643 Posts
Biggest issue is fairing fit. Typical interference on the front v cross member and staying abovethe bottom of the fairing. The 1100 and 750 shared the same aftermarket pipes so I doubt tuning is a huge issue. Fitting a aftermarket muffler collector would probably save five pounds but needs a bracket fitted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks remusr. I want to avoid fairing mods.

I think that only the muffler needs replacing - but this then becomes a cut and weld process to add the right bits for an aftermarket muffler. It also needs a skilled welder - not me :) .

I’ve been tied up with our kitchen reno this past week, so haven’t had a chance to look into it much further.

Regards Rob.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts