Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello looking to purchase my first bike. I’m looking at buying a 2011 gsxr 600 with16k miles. Is there any tips and tricks someone could tell me about the purchasing process or questions I should ask. Is there any certain things I should be looking at closely. Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
600 is going to be a pretty fast for your first bike. Check everything out diligently, ask plenty of questions, and see how it runs. If it runs well, goes through all of the gears well, doesn’t have any glaring issues than you’ll probably be in good shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
600 is going to be a pretty fast for your first bike. Check everything out diligently, ask plenty of questions, and see how it runs. If it runs well, goes through all of the gears well, doesn’t have any glaring issues than you’ll probably be in good shape.
I’ve been riding motor cross my whole life so I don’t think the step up is too bad and have ridden a couple 600 sport bikes. I’m not the guy at all who thinks you need to start on a 600 but I leave for the marines in June and our ride time is very short here in Michigan and don’t want to be bored in a month or two. Thanks for help tho my only true concern is getting stuck with a project bike at 6k budget bc i over looked something stupid.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For 6k I would expect a very clean well maintained running bike. Same things you look for on a MX bike apply here. Add some lights and a dashboard and some more cylinders.

If you’re running a full size MX bike you’ll have no issue with the 600 and if you’re looking for performance you wouldn’t be satisfied with anything less. 600 is a smart buy for you in my opinion.

·
Administrator
13,953 Posts
A Supersport 600 for a first road bike is no joke ... even after riding dirt.
Best thing you can do is grab as much seat time as possible

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
And wear Gear. Boots, Pants, jackets, gloves, FF helmet, etc.
I agree, make sure you have enough money leftover for these items. Try to get some real boots if you can. Not just work boots. They makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, make sure you have enough money leftover for these items. Try to get some real boots if you can. Not just work boots. They makes a world of difference.
So at this price point I have 1500 left over for any unexpected maintenance and a full set of gear thanks for all the help ful advice I’ve decided to get a 07 gsxr 600 with 8k miles for 5.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
If you have been riding a 450 MX bike on a MX track and clearing MX jumps. The 450 MX is the equivalent of a 1000 sport bike on the Moto GP track. An average rider can be just as fast on a 600 as on a 1000. The 1000 just does it on one wheel. 🤣 Personally, the 1000 wont bite you.(well it won't bite you any harder than your dirt bike did).

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
4,075 Posts
Yeah, no. Stop giving bad advice.

Reactions: craigfer63

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Try to get some real boots if you can. Not just work boots. They makes a world of difference.
This is solid advice. I watched a guy crash on Black Friday and I bet if he were wearing decent boots he wouldn’t have broken his foot and ankle. He was wearing “work”
boots but those aren’t made to protect against crashing at 60mph....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Picked up my bike today never been happier with my decision proud to be in the community. Full r55 yoshi power commander 3 and intake View attachment 574508
Looks like you have a very clean example of one of the nicest GSXR machines Suzuki has ever produced...the 06-07 600/750 body style is still one of the prettiest designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
So at this price point I have 1500 left over for any unexpected maintenance and a full set of gear thanks for all the help ful advice I’ve decided to get a 07 gsxr 600 with 8k miles for 5.
Nice find and nice looking bike.
an 07 w/ 8K miles. That mileage is less than 2 seasons in the Midwest of sportbike riding for me. -Pleasure riding, I drive to work usually. It seems many people get their bikes and ride very little- kind of defeats the need for a sportbike. I dunno?
Merry Christmas, and thank you for your decision to join the military.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts