Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may go look at a 2008 Suzuki GS500F. The pics show it to be in very nice shape with only 3500 miles. The orig owner is asking $2600, which is a bit on the high side. I know this isn't any kind of rocket. Just looking for a bike to putt-putt around on. Am I crazy?

Here is a pic . . .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I rode one a few years ago and it's not a bad motorcycle.
Very comfortable and it has decent power and brakes.
The price is probably a little high but being a one owner with low mile means a lot.
You might try to get him down a little but if you like the bike that also means a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rode one a few years ago and it's not a bad motorcycle.
Very comfortable and it has decent power and brakes.
The price is probably a little high but being a one owner with low mile means a lot.
You might try to get him down a little but if you like the bike that also means a lot.
I also like that it has a center stand -- easier maintenance.

This is an air-cooled twin with an oil cooler, so one less complication -- but on the other side of that coin -- more susceptible to overheating here in the desert.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I also like that it has a center stand -- easier maintenance.

This is an air-cooled twin with an oil cooler, so one less complication -- but on the other side of that coin -- more susceptible to overheating here in the desert.
One thing Nevar, if the tires are original they will need to be replaced and my advice is don't go cheap. Tires are the only thing between you and the blacktop.
I run Michelin Pilot Roads but any of the premium brands are alright.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I have to say I loved my EX500 way back in the day as in a brand new 1988 bike. It served everything I threw at him from in town to twisties to 500+ mile touring days (Mexico anyone?) but it was liquid cooled. The center stand is a gift as yes, it makes maintenance very easy indeed. You may miss the "twist the throttle" fun factor but they are great bikes. I had a tank bag and saddle bags for those long days out riding or those days leaving in 80F days but returning in 50F nights.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
Having ridden them before, they have absolutely no draw for me. I'd much rather buy one of the fuel-injected SV650 over these. Or an EX500. Hell, I'd honestly buy one of those Burgman 650s or an Aprilia Mana over one. It's just that lackluster, and putting miles on it is only going to drive its value down drastically.

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
I’ve never ridden the GS-F but another vote for an SV650. I think it’s a much better platform in the same price range as that bike.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
You might want to consider the GSX650F which replaces the Katana 600/750. Looks like a nice sport touring bike with 74HP, duel front rotors, fuel gauge, liquid cooled, fuel injected, 56mpg, 5 gallon gas tank and some have ABS but no center stand. Just to give you one more option to look out for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had my eye on the Suzuki v-twin 650 in all its different models. A good late-model low-mileage reasonably priced bike just hasn't shown up yet. But I'm patient.

·
Super Moderator
15,119 Posts
You might want to consider the GSX650F which replaces the Katana 600/750. Looks like a nice sport touring bike with 74HP, duel front rotors, fuel gauge, liquid cooled, fuel injected, 56mpg, 5 gallon gas tank and some have ABS but no center stand. Just to give you one more option to look out for.

Rotors that duel? Very cool. :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, this purchase fell thru. Maybe it's for the best.

Thanks to all who responded and answered my questions and to those who had comments. :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
Nevar
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing