Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
Ive been surfin this site for a few weeks and am looking to pickup my first bike in two weeks
. I am doin my courses next week. Ive been wantin a bike for 15years and Im so stoked my wife made Sunday "No talking about bikes day" cause I dont shut up! Im 31 and acting like im 5 years old. Anyway she's cool with the whole thing, shes doin the rider course with me and she pickin up the gear too.

I'm undecided on one thing 600 or 750?
I know everyone says get a 600 for your first but I diont want to regret it in a year. My cuz says "get the 750" (he rides a Honda 919).

Your thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good luck with what ever you decide to pick up and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Welcome to the site! It doesn't matter if Sunday is "No talking about bikes day" because you will be RIDING on Sundays.

·
Registered
888 Posts
havnt you read the stuff about sportbikes being bad first bikes!! i would read that first and then make up your mind after.....welcome to the site

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
havnt you read the stuff about sportbikes being bad first bikes!! i would read that first and then make up your mind after.....welcome to the site
+1

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
yeah man, read...read and read!!!!
theres ALOT of VERY good informaiton in here....
oh, and welcome to GDC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the concern and the welcome. I'm glad to see there are people that give a sh*t.
I have read the other stuff on this site, even about starting on a bike like an sv650, but I have a question.....how can a sports bike be a bad bike for me to start with if I have never riden a bike before.
For example....two guys turn 16 and get their license(both never driven before) and one buys a car like a Kia [email protected] and the other buys a [email protected] Is the guy in the Kia Rio safer? The guy in the Vette must be careful with the gas but thats about it. (Ive seen tons of kids getting killed in little civics)

What I'm trying to say is that all of us have to adjust to a vehicle we have never driven before, so caution should always be used, but nun the less it can be very dangerous. Shouldnt every rider use that same caution when riding a new bike? dispite the length of time riding as its still a bike your not used to.

I know guys(guys from 16-20) that start on 750's to Busa's and the only differance I see is maturity levels.
Low maturity level= loser ends up down.

High maturity level=guy stays up and keeps on smiling

I dunno, maybe I see it all wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the concern and the welcome. I'm glad to see there are people that give a sh*t.
I have read the other stuff on this site, even about starting on a bike like an sv650, but I have a question.....how can a sports bike be a bad bike for me to start with if I have never riden a bike before.
For example....two guys turn 16 and get their license(both never driven before) and one buys a car like a Kia [email protected] and the other buys a [email protected] Is the guy in the Kia Rio safer? The guy in the Vette must be careful with the gas but thats about it. (Ive seen tons of kids getting killed in little civics)

What I'm trying to say is that all of us have to adjust to a vehicle we have never driven before, so caution should always be used, but nun the less it can be very dangerous. Shouldnt every rider use that same caution when riding a new bike? dispite the length of time riding as its still a bike your not used to.

I know guys(guys from 16-20) that start on 750's to Busa's and the only differance I see is maturity levels.
Low maturity level= loser ends up down.

High maturity level=guy stays up and keeps on smiling

Perfect answer.

is mostly about maturity, with some common sense thrown in.

Q. What will happen if I gap the hell out of it a 6+ grand i 1st?
Common Sence answer. The front wheel is coming off the ground.

Q. Toping big hill gap the hell out of it, at high rpms?
Common Sence answer. The front wheel is comeing off the ground.

Q. Gap the hell out of it on wet pavement. (lower gears)
A. Most likely back wheel breaks free, ( "Oh shit now what") Do not hit the brakes.

Q. Front wheel up?, Now what? Hope you ment for it to be.
A. At some point if you don't let off of it. it's gonna hurt. Let of kinda easy, else it's gonna hurt, not as bad, but I'd say if your a guy you remember it.

That kinda stuff.
and these make good starter bikes.

The most common thing I hear, and for me at first whas leaning to turn, Little scarry at first but you'll get use to it.

So garb a bike and ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks countrykid I forgot to mention the common sense.
No common sense
will get you killed on a 250.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts

(...)

Yes you do - can't compare a car and a bike... A 400hp Vette doesn't roll over if you fuck up - a bike does. What makes bikes like the GSX-Rs/R6/CBR-RR, etc. is not only that they have more engine power. They are fucking unforgiving in all aspects - power, brakes, handling, etc. Overdo the control input and you will probably find yourself on your ass. Has nothing to do with maturity but experience.

Take the brakes as an example: A GSX-R has two big brake disks with 4-6 piston calipers. These brakes are basically designed to deccellerate the bike from 160+ mph to 40-50 mph at the end of a track straight before going into turn 1 - but that is with warm race tires on a perfect surface track in the hands of an experienced racer... If you just grab a big handfull of those on the street as a reflex you will find yourself sliding down the road next to your bike before you know what happened... And on the street you'll find yourself in sudden situations where you have to brake fast pretty often. I'd claim that in like 95% of the crashes where people claim they "laid down the bike to avoid the car/dog/cat/gravel" they really just overbraked - on a less radical bike they would have had a WAY better chance of braking in time without overbraking and steer around the obstacle.

Riding a bike isn't like driving a car - it's much more than pulling and turning some levers. And if you have "to be careful and take it easy" all the time you won't learn shit... And that's what hurts when you get in an emergency situation...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd agree.... a gixxer is very unforgiving. The throttle is so twitchy you have to be so gentle with it at all times, especially when turning. If you have never rode before I suggest finding someone that will lend you a bike for a week that you could ride your first few times. Get a few basics out of it before you put down your brand new bike.

As far as the 600-750, the 600 is nearly just as fast as a 750, you will never drive even it to it's potential. Even though I dont believe I can ride my 750 to it's potential I bought the 750 for more than the larger motor. I have noticed that the 600's aren't too far behind. This isn't like comparing a 4 cyclinder to a 6 cyclinder, no the 600's are still very fast and you could pick one up alittle bit cheaper than a 750. Plus if you never drop it, the resale value is good so you can always trade up. I just suggest ride your first few times on something else because whatever you get will be very unforgiving.

Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Is your wife interested in learning to ride as well? If so, buy an SV...ride it for a year, then step up and buy a new Gixxer for yourself...then you can go riding together. Worked perfectly for me.

G

·
And if she's not into her own bike now, after she's ridden with you a while, chances are she's going to want her own in the future. Great idea Midge. Also, may wanna read up and practice a while before having her hop on with you...

Oh, ps- Welcome to GDC!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yeah.......... Welcome to GDC!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife is also looking to ride. We are doing the safety classes together. She doesnt like any other bike only the gixxer.
Thanks for the welcome and all the advice.
But I must say that im going with the gixxer 600. Not cause its a cool thing(Ihave noone to impress) I just dont like anything other than sport bikes.

I will say that everytime I think I might do something stupid
I will think of gixxer.com and all the advice posted and that you guys have given me.

Ive been waiting 15 years for this! See you guys on the street!

·
Registered
888 Posts
you know i dont like anything but sport bikes to.....oh wait...except my life. That is why iam geting a gs500...ya it aint as sick as a k5 gixxer...but shit iam still riding a bike. And for a year or so thats more the enough for me to get by on. When i went and saw the k5 in person and all the other sportbikes...i was like " man they look so good in person" and the guy told me...what you need to do is think with your head not with your cock. i agreed....and plus gs500 is listed under sportbikes on the suzuki website...so technically...you would still be geting a sportsbikE!!

·
Registered
431 Posts

(...)

Yes you do - can't compare a car and a bike... A 400hp Vette doesn't roll over if you fuck up - a bike does. What makes bikes like the GSX-Rs/R6/CBR-RR, etc. is not only that they have more engine power. They are fucking unforgiving in all aspects - power, brakes, handling, etc. Overdo the control input and you will probably find yourself on your ass. Has nothing to do with maturity but experience.

Take the brakes as an example: A GSX-R has two big brake disks with 4-6 piston calipers. These brakes are basically designed to deccellerate the bike from 160+ mph to 40-50 mph at the end of a track straight before going into turn 1 - but that is with warm race tires on a perfect surface track in the hands of an experienced racer... If you just grab a big handfull of those on the street as a reflex you will find yourself sliding down the road next to your bike before you know what happened... And on the street you'll find yourself in sudden situations where you have to brake fast pretty often. I'd claim that in like 95% of the crashes where people claim they "laid down the bike to avoid the car/dog/cat/gravel" they really just overbraked - on a less radical bike they would have had a WAY better chance of braking in time without overbraking and steer around the obstacle.

Riding a bike isn't like driving a car - it's much more than pulling and turning some levers. And if you have "to be careful and take it easy" all the time you won't learn shit... And that's what hurts when you get in an emergency situation...

+1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK. So I picked up a 05 gixxer 600 on Saturday.
My girl and I completed the MSF course two weeks ago. This is a great class and I recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for all the advice, but I must say you guys sure know how to scare the crap out of someone. I'm not saying the bike isnt powerful, but from the way you guys were talkin I thought I was going to get on and rest my hand on the throttle and the thing was going to fly away. I do agree with you guys , this not something you can take lightly. This is a very powerful machine.
I dont think anyone from 16 to 19 shouldn't even consider one. I surely would have killed myself if I had one at that age at 20 -24 it would have been a 50/50 chance
I never think with my cock.Ever! (That got me in enough trouble back in the day) I never bought it to "show off". I bought it to enjoy the ride. I could care less what people think. I'm 31, have a wife and working on kids and have worked hard to loose it all.

Again, thanks for the concern, believe me it's much appreciated. I read the entire site before I went out to buy and I cant thank everyone enough for their advice.

As one experianced MSF instuctor told me."you can kill yourself on any bike. If your going to ride sport bikes practice on one, understand it, control it. Dont be stupid, ride to enjoy another day and always keep your head up, you look down you go down."

·
Registered
888 Posts
congrats man, i hope you nothing but good fortune. IAM geting my gs500 soon, iam 19 but i dont think like one at all. iam geting a gs500 its so tight!! i know iam just gonna love the bike to death, and maybe in the future i will pick up a gixxer. but until then i just wanna enjoy riding, not what i look like while riding. thats why iam get a 1pc sUIT! BABE!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts