Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are contemplating a move overseas and I am wanting some advice on places to live in the UK.

The plan is to live/work in the UK for 6-12 months to earn some pounds then travel through Europe.

I don't want to live in London beacuse every Aussie seems to do that so am looking further afield.

What are your impressions of Glasgow or Liverpool (I may be doing some part-time study at either of these cities). Or gve me some suggestions of nice places to live outside of London.

I understand this is a pretty ambiguous question but any help at all is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Depends really. I am from Brighton and it is an interesting place, not as busy as London but getting there!
If it is Uni's you are looking for, I can't help you but my partner went to both Manchester and Sussex and loved them both.

Sorry I can't help more.

P.S. You lnow the weather is shitty here don't you!

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

outside the window .........as julia said its shitty weather

stafford or warwick area (shakespeare country) is one of the nicest parts of the UK
but for night life you need to be thinkin liverpool, manchester ,glasgow all of them are decent big cities with everything you could want
but do plan to travel around and catch some of the better more picturesque places we have to offer

good luck and let us know what you decide
maybe we could help further once you decide

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sorry cant help on the whole UK info, come to Dublin

Is that todays snow GixxerUK or is it an old pic.
Dam i really thought we would get some decent snow during this cold snap,
Was hoping for it actually, Snow is cool and we havnt had more than an inch or two in like 10 years.
BORING WEATHER

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. As for the weather, Brisbane is tropical so yeah will be quite a change. Although that picture looks nice with all that snow

At this stage it looks to be Glasgow vs Liverpool. Any votes for either of these. Looking for somewhere with nice scenery to go sight seeing on weekends, plenty of part time work (girlfriend is a physio so she will be finding work in a hospital and I will probably pick up anything available). How does the cost of living compare?

We will definitley travel around the UK and seeing the beautiful scenery and history on offer (I keep forgetting how small it actually is).

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Liverpool is a better bet, IMHO as it's pretty centrally located, you can use it as a good base for getting around.

You've got North Wales (beautiful scenery) within 30 miles, you can go north to the Lake District, East to the Peak District or south to whatever is down that way.

London is only 200 miles away, Glasgow is only 200 miles away.

Mind you, either way you'll probably struggle with the accent, some Scousers (Liverpudlians) are pretty hard to understand but the Glaswegians are 10 times worse

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
North Wales is affordble and you don't have to fight with the traffic in the summer to get out
There's a big hospital in chester too....

I live in Connahs Quay but Northop and Northop Hall ....oh and Hawarden are really nice, hey Michael Owen (footballer bloke) lives a few miles away so it can't be all that bad...............

We went to Snowdon in the car yesterday and it was really nice, I reckon that I'll have to go back in a few weeks to 'tackle' that bloody hill.
Got a bit pissed off when I got back to the car to see that we all had tickets !!
Apparently there was a solid yellow line where around 40 cars had parked but it was obscured by the snow, I really hate North Wales police, maybe some preventative measures like cones to stop people parking would have been a reasonable aproach........

Andy

·
Registered
28 Posts
You want to try Newcastle or Durham, They have got the uni's, the historical sights, beautiful scenery and most importantly some of the best roads for bikes in the country are only a stones throw away.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the info and nice pics. It's looking more like Glasgow at the moment, however we won't be over for about another 12 months (unless I tell work to stuff it).

I'll drop in closer to departure time

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I'd have to agree with Andy. I have lived in the North East, Scotland and London and apart from the extremely zealous police force, N. Wales provides some of the best biking roads and scenery in the UK.

You also have Liverpool Uni and its Chester affiliate as well as North East Wales Institute in Wrexham which offers some fantastic engineering degrees that are not available elsewhere.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
liverpool, gotta be!!!!
city of culture and they even have some famous pop group that came from there,
plenty of hospitals and sights round the north west and if you head towards a town called croston there is the mother of all roads( v fast and v twistie)
come to liverpool mate its a blast

1 - 12 of 12 Posts