Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice from U old skool freaks..
I was riding home yesterday and the throttle return seemed to be "sluggish". I mean, when I let go of the throttle it seems to slowly return to idle. It's not that crisp return U get when you rev it and release it.

I can turn the throttle about an .5 inch w/o it reving. I know the cable can be adjusted..but is this the problem..

·
Registered
139 Posts
It sounds like you may have an air leak, I'd check all your vacume lines. You also may want to check your intake manifolds (Make sure the clamps are tight) also check the slides in the carbs for wear holes in the diaphrams.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It sounds like you may have an air leak, I'd check all your vacume lines. You also may want to check your intake manifolds (Make sure the clamps are tight) also check the slides in the carbs for wear holes in the diaphrams.
Hope this helps.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What he said.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Let's pretend I have this problem too...

But it's more like...when stationary...after the motor is well warmed up. Or if I've come to a stop and restarted the motor...the motor will rev to redline...and only one of two things seems to get the revs back down

...hitting the kill switch

or

...blip the throttle ASAP and hope the revs decline.

Could it be???...the increased displacement is pulling more air volume through the carbs and the slides won't drop back down to the idle position?

Could the cure be as simple as putting a newer push/pull throttle cable on it?

Remember...I said "lets pretend" I have this problem...my gixxer is perfect

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
It all depends on what's happening *exactly* ...when you release the throttle, does the throttle-tube itself "hang up" and slowly rotate back to the idle position? Or is it that the throttle itself snape right back, and the engine just sorta lazily revs down? I'd take a close look at the throttle cable if the throttle-tube itself is hanging up... they usually fray before they break, and a frayed cable will make the throttle action feel funny.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
Let's pretend I have this problem too...

But it's more like...when stationary...after the motor is well warmed up. Or if I've come to a stop and restarted the motor...the motor will rev to redline...and only one of two things seems to get the revs back down

...hitting the kill switch

or

...blip the throttle ASAP and hope the revs decline.

Could it be???...the increased displacement is pulling more air volume through the carbs and the slides won't drop back down to the idle position?

Could the cure be as simple as putting a newer push/pull throttle cable on it?

Remember...I said "lets pretend" I have this problem...my gixxer is perfect
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you're pretending to be using CV carbs, something is way wrong... Mine pretended to hang-up like that when I pretended to bind-up the cable between the gas-tank and frame... it pretended to break shortly after I pretended to wake up everyone in the neighborhood one Sunday morning. If you're pretending to be using flatslides, I'd suggest that you also pretend to put stronger return-springs in them.

...isn't fantasy a wonderful thing?

[ 07-05-2002, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I reckon Fastcat is on the right lines here, as always.

It will be the cable , probably.

It's about to snap or has dislodged in the twistgrip, have you looked?

Take the cable off and see how freely it moves.

Also be careful to ensure that it isn't simply the grip sticking on the bar end weight.

Andy

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Also be careful to ensure that it isn't simply the grip sticking on the bar end weight.

Andy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice job FastCat!
Looks like Spike did indeed have a throttle cable problem.

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Andy James:

Andy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A.J......A+++++ for the day..parked it at 2 p.m. and when I went to do a tune-up found the cable FUBAR...Yu da man today....It had actually snapped when I was pulling up in the drive-way......

Now where do I find a new cable???

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
You'll be able to get a Motion-Pro replacement cable at any dealer...cheaper than OEM and just a good.

I'm going to pretend to check my cable when I get back to Wisconsin. I might have to pretend to buy a new one too.

Fastcat...are you a female? I was noticing your eyes in your sigpic were err...feminine...but I thought it might be a wife/girlfriend.

Just curious.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
You'll be able to get a Motion-Pro replacement cable at any dealer...cheaper than OEM and just a good.

I'm going to pretend to check my cable when I get back to Wisconsin. I might have to pretend to buy a new one too.

Fastcat...are you a female? I was noticing your eyes in your sigpic were err...feminine...but I thought it might be a wife/girlfriend.

Just curious.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, those are my eyes... shhh with that stuff though... the bike doesn't know the difference

another pic (from yesterday on the Key Penninsula):

uh... yeah, I'm the one on the right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts