Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a JMT Li-Ion replacement battery for my stock YT12A-BS on eBay - the listing specifically quoted that Yuasa number (GSXR 1000 K6). And when I got the replacement, the box reads: can replace: YTX14H-BS; YTX14-BS... I looked up the specs for the YTX14H-BS and it says that Capacity Ah is 12.6 (20hr) and Starting power CCA (-18C) is 240 Amps, whereas for the stocker it's: capacity 10.5, starting power 175amps. I have asked the seller who, I am sure, will say it's all good, but I am a bit weary of using a different spec battery for the fear of frying the electronics...
Thoughts?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,715 Posts
Frying the electronics is unlikely as long as it's a 12V battery. Shorai's standard recommendation for the GSX-R1000 is the LFX18A1-BS12 which has 18 AHr & 270 CCA. If you compare your specs with theirs (here), yours seems similar or possibly on the weak side. Note that the manufacturers play around with the numbers to put their batteries in a favorable light. You can see where Shorai actually says PB Equiv for the amp-hour rating. So direct comparison with the lead-acid numbers is complicated. Generally a lithium battery with 14 or 18 in it's part number is a suitable replacement for our bikes. The larger ones will last longer and not run down as fast. In terms of frying things, the only possibilities that come to mind are that a bigger battery would allow you to crank longer than the recommended five second maximum, potentially overheating the starter in the process. Also a bigger battery would put more load on the charging system if it was drawn way down or put into service without being properly charged. That shouldn't be an issue with yours.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! Really appreciate your response - the bike really needs a new battery and I wasn't going to use the one I received without an independent opinion... Have a good day Sir!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts