Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of sourcing some 1100 forks and trees for my 91 750. I am after the 1100 forks, so that the clips mount on top of the triple, and because they are stouter forks.

Question - I am thinking that I should have the fork oil, seals and springs replaced, so that the suspension is as fresh as possible. Would you use linear springs or progressively wound springs?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
for the street, i would go with progressive. it's also a matter of personal taste, though...

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I've read a fair bit of this topic on one of the Bandit boards I read... the threads there indicate that the guys who start off with Progressives will often pick up a set of Race-Tech's down the road, but the guys with Race-Tech's never seem to switch over to Progressives.

I have a set of .95kg-mm Race-Tech's in the B12; they really improved the feel of the front end... I plan to drop a set of them into the 1100 over the winter if I keep it, no intention of looking at variably-wound coils.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I'd go with straight-rate springs. Given that most of the 'progressive' part is taken up when you set the sag, it seems to kill a lot of any benefit that might come from a progressive spring.

Also, you can't 'program' the damping to match a varying spring rate with commonly available suspension components, so I'd recommend going with a known value of constant rate, then your damping will be more linear (rising rate shock linkage aside) throughout the range of travel.

When you rebuild the forks, have a look at the inner and outer bushings; swap them if there is any visible wear. OR, just swap them as part of preventative maintenance

·
Registered
434 Posts
you will find there is a lot of drag or sticksion on the stock seals and bushings racetech make low friction versions of both of these also there is a noticable diff going to a full synth oil versus the stock stuff would suggest silkolene pro rsf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts