Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Gsxr1000R 20' - CBR600RR Wss Spec
33 Posts
Alarm and cctv, decent ground anchor and a proper chain. Something like an Almax security series etc

·
Registered
15 Posts
tell you what whenever I am on the road and staying in motels/hotels?

I go on the cheap, those motel 6's are nice even the old converted ones, tell em I am disabled and need a ground floor, push my bikes right in the room and sleep tight..

dunnit more times than I can count..

shopping at grocery stores? I park it right on the sidewalk right next to the front door, same for restaurants, if my bike isn't in sight I don't eat or shop there..

serious, it takes a but a few seconds to open van doors and throw in a bike and go, so use your rotor lock with an alarm even if you are right on sidewalks next to grocery store doors, keep it in sight of everyone.. someone grabs it alarms go off and people can stop them..

I dont play when it comes to my bikes, 3 fairly new jacked in 5 years is stupid luck or a very bad area, why I left, the seattle area is turning into a drug infested shithole for thieves and druggies and the cops are nicer to the criminals than they are the victims, ask me if I still want my bike on the stolen list I'll kick some teeth in... arseholes, they can have it..

shit you not 1 year after my last 2k51k was jacked they sent me a letter asked if I "still" wanted it on the stolen registry list and in the system, drove right down to the precinct said "have you found my bike yet?" ... PO, "no"..

then WTF do you think? I was LIVID, moved not long afterwards, last straw, I knew they had no intentions of even looking for my bikes.. jackwads
Motels started cracking down on that. I’m the same way if I can’t see it I’m not taking it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Couple of comments-

Yes Agreed - Park in the room, park next to the entrance, park visibly in sight, all good!

After reading a pretty long thread from an ex bike thief, here are some observations:

Disk lock getting picked. Recently I started learning how to pick locks. It isn't too hard, but experience and the proper tools are required. The last method a thief would use would be to pick the lock, unless they had been casing the bike and came prepared specifically for this lock with their lock picking friend that has specific tools for every style of lock. The lock would be removed either with VERY large bolt cutters, removing the wheel and then the disc. Disc locks are better put on the rear tire as it takes longer to remove and replace a rear tire.

The video does however have me thinking about buying a better lock and having a separate motion detector, maybe one without paging as I will have the monimoto.

Most bikes are not put into vans. They are driven away. Steering lock is broken, ignition is hot wired. The bike is driven to another location, maybe only blocks away, where tracking devices are removed. Then it is safe to drive away to its final destination. Putting it in a van makes it difficult to get away and makes it impossible to just walk away from the vehicle if it appear tracking devices have alerted cops or owners.

Vigilante style revenge. From the reformed thief's thread, the thief mentioned they were more afraid of the owners than the cops. How I would handle an armed response would be dependent upon circumstances such as the state I was in and the location.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Couple of comments-

Yes Agreed - Park in the room, park next to the entrance, park visibly in sight, all good!

After reading a pretty long thread from an ex bike thief, here are some observations:

Disk lock getting picked. Recently I started learning how to pick locks. It isn't too hard, but experience and the proper tools are required. The last method a thief would use would be to pick the lock, unless they had been casing the bike and came prepared specifically for this lock with their lock picking friend that has specific tools for every style of lock. The lock would be removed either with VERY large bolt cutters, removing the wheel and then the disc. Disc locks are better put on the rear tire as it takes longer to remove and replace a rear tire.

The video does however have me thinking about buying a better lock and having a separate motion detector, maybe one without paging as I will have the monimoto.

Most bikes are not put into vans. They are driven away. Steering lock is broken, ignition is hot wired. The bike is driven to another location, maybe only blocks away, where tracking devices are removed. Then it is safe to drive away to its final destination. Putting it in a van makes it difficult to get away and makes it impossible to just walk away from the vehicle if it appear tracking devices have alerted cops or owners.

Vigilante style revenge. From the reformed thief's thread, the thief mentioned they were more afraid of the owners than the cops. How I would handle an armed response would be dependent upon circumstances such as the state I was in and the location.
First off have carry insurance if in case you have to use deadly force like a company for example

also depends how liberal of a state you live in..

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,327 Posts
Wow.
The company you keep.
Guilt by association.
Wow. Jump to dumb conclusions much?

Lmfao... Nice assumption and edit. I knew bike thieves who got caught is what I said, not that I knew bike thieves. I was friends with some of the police force where I lived, and these thieves were the ones who stole my K2 750, so my police friends gave me an opportunity to speak with them, which is how I gleaned that info. Nice try though.

I have been on this site for literally 20 years. I was a mod, then a supermod, then an admin for a long time before I took a hiatus. I have over 73,000 posts, 90% of which is helping others. Definitely not a thief.
Hey bud. What is it about being staff here eventually requiring a hiatus? I was on staff for under a year (I think) before I needed a break and I've been away for a while now.

Keeping with the tradition of Le Skid contributing nothing of value to any topic, I present MY foolproof security solution.

I have to remove the chin fairing to clear the bump of my patio doors but I don't care. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the pooch.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
Wow. Jump to dumb conclusions much?

Hey bud. What is it about being staff here eventually requiring a hiatus? I was on staff for under a year (I think) before I needed a break and I've been away for a while now.

Keeping with the tradition of Le Skid contributing nothing of value to any topic, I present MY foolproof security solution.

I have to remove the chin fairing to clear the bump of my patio doors but I don't care. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the pooch.

View attachment 577464
I'm not sure how it is now being staff, but at the time when I was, it was extremely stressful. However, my hiatus was due to other things outside of GDC, not the site itself.

·
8,327 Posts
I'm not sure how it is now being staff, but at the time when I was, it was extremely stressful. However, my hiatus was due to other things outside of GDC, not the site itself.
Sigh, the dickhead who assumed you're a bike thief by association "felt inclined to share his hurt feelings with me" in PMs. He went from whiny passive-aggressive to full retard in record time..... It's nice to be told to fuck-off on my first day back SMH.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now that I have put on about 8k of aftermarket goodies on my bike, I am a little more concerned about theft. How likely are 2017+ GSXR-1000's to be stolen and what anti-theft measures do any of you use or recommend?

Note: My 1989 GSXR-750 with built 1100 motor was stolen from a parking lot many years ago. There are a couple of factors that contributed to the theft of this motorcycle. 1) Many were raced. 2) There were a lot of these motorcycles produced and 3) Many of the parts were interchangeable over different model years. I don't worry about my 2006 FJR1300 being stolen, but do wonder if some type of theft counter measure would be smart on a light bike with full Ohlins suspension and lots of other goodies.
put a decent tracker on it, some phone you if tampered, also plenty of locks, put it in the kitchen at nght, my eldes son does lol, good ground anchors back n front wheel, LOL or have a metal bracket made that goes under front seat with a fkn sharl blade sticking up. little thieving scum need a hacksaw to the thinmbs!

·
Registered
16 Posts
In general I don't like insurance as it is generally not profitable. As a rule of thumb you SHOULD insure things that are very unlikely to happen and have a VERY HIGH DAMAGE costs to your life. Life insurance or home fire insurance are examples. You should not insure things that are likely to happen and can afford the damage should things go wrong. Example, if I buy a $250 digital camera, I am not going to add on insurance for $40 if something goes wrong. I can afford to buy the $250 camera out right if there is a problem and $40 is a lot to add to the overall costs.

Insurance companies can only afford to pay out 50% of premiums collected as there is overhead running the business. You are always better off self insuring, if you can afford it, assuming you are not above the risk profile that the policy was designed around.

This topic did get me thinking about the cost of insurance for my GSXR-1000 and whether or not I am properly covered and what is the exact cost for theft on my motorcycle. Here are the numbers

The "Comprehensive (not including collision)" portion of my policy is $151 per year. This covers theft with a $500 premium. I then checked to see what it would costs to cover my 7-8k of upgrades (full ohlins front and rear, etc.....) If I added $6500 - $8000 of additional coverage for aftermarket parts this would add $131 per year.

My 2017 non R was purchased for around 13k as a 2 year left over and has around 7-8 k of upgrades. So It is worth around 20k to me. Could I afford it if the bike gets stolen? Certainly. Would I like it? Certainly not. If it got stolen, I may likely be so bummed that I would not get a replacement, a $20,000 180mph motorcycle isn't exactly a necessity.

So after reading all of the posts that say the best theft protection is insurance, I actually have to agree. For only $151 dollars I protect the value of my motorcycle. Any GPS tracking system will cost around $120 per year for monitoring and there is no guarantee that this will work, or that I will get the bike back in one piece.

Summary / Conclusion - After this research, I think I will keep my existing policy as is with the $151 per year for theft. I will not add on the cost of the aftermarket goodies for $131. For piece of mind I think I will continue to look for an alarm system that might go off if people move the bike. Theft insurance plus an alarm seem to be maybe the best combination of risk reduction, cost and piece of mind.
My Busa insuranc e with SWINTON, £600 excess the cheeky greedy bastds, next year ill change companies to SUZUKI COVER 300 EXCESS.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Motorcycle cover, colored pink. Moped / Vespa, logo. No one is stealing a girls bike. 🤣

·
Premium Member
5,444 Posts
My Busa insuranc e with SWINTON, £600 excess the cheeky greedy bastds, next year ill change companies to SUZUKI COVER 300 EXCESS.

full coverage, $125k payoff for non personal injuries all parties, $100k medical for myself, passenger and other vehicles
buncha other stuff, pretty decent really $64 a month.. never ride the dang thing much anymore..

·
Registered
1 Posts
full coverage, $125k payoff for non personal injuries all parties, $100k medical for myself, passenger and other vehicles
buncha other stuff, pretty decent really $64 a month.. never ride the dang thing much anymore..
64$ a month? Why am I paying $1900 a year? One speeding ticket 2 years ago. 40 years old.

·
Premium Member
5,444 Posts
haven't had a ticket for over 30 years, never had an accident.. that ticket is still nicking you, when it's 3 years old hunt for new insurance it should go down significantly, it will go down as you get older too..

also if you guys get a ticket look into deferred or programs, lot of states have safety programs, specially if you are out of state they let you pay a base fine then do like traffic safety, rider safety or even CPR, cali lets you do any of the three if you are out of state so go rail in cali its $60 plus the course and it's a freebie, they defer it so don't get another ticket in cali within a year and it doesn't go on record..

most states have a deferral program, don't get another ticket in one year and it doesn't go on record, Wa state lets you do one every 7 years..

the whole thing is just stupid anymore with every mothers son looking to nick you just cuz you get a ticket, it's ridiculous, why do they have speed limits? the rationale is so we dont hurt people in accidents, then why is it someone can kill someone on the freeway and say "I didn't see him" and not even get as much as a ticket? makes no sense it's ALL about getting your money, now the credit bureau has chimed in, employers, insurance has always had their hand in the bag saying it makes you an unsafe driver, yet again, a client can kill someone on the freeway, its deemed as an accident and said individual walks away without as much as a ticket... and there inlies the real problem why our streets are so dangerous, the REAL bad drivers are never held accountable, they can slap their makeup on, play with their phones and kill people and get away with it, someone perfectly safe rolling over the speed limit pays the penalty? it's just another way to gouge the people and our streets will NEVER be safe until those who hurt others in accidents whether its mechanical, unintentional or "didn't see him"..

start putting people in jail for hurting people on our roads and watch our streets get safer, people will stop playing with phones and start paying attention, they will go to driving schools and improve their skills and attention spans, let's face it some people are dangerous just getting out of bed and I cannot count the number of times had I not been paying attention and had the wherewithal to avoid a critical accident I'd have been in countless accidents on my bike and in my car, even my bicycle, far too many roam our streets wearing blinders, and they get away with it time and again..

you might be shocked if you saw those who get in one accident get in an average of 1 at fault accident every 7 years, those who don't, never do.. how can we change this?

·
8,327 Posts
Remember this clown?

Wow.
The company you keep.
Guilt by association.
He tried to get around his ban (which was almost over) by signing up under a different name. That's a hanging crime and he has been perma-banned.

One less whiny drama queen.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
Remember this clown?

He tried to get around his ban (which was almost over) by signing up under a different name. That's a hanging crime and he has been perma-banned.

Ha! Dumbass.

·
Administrator
13,952 Posts
Remember this clown?

One man circus hahaha 🤡

Reactions: le skid
41 - 60 of 69 Posts